Help to identify and cure infection / illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thenewsouth1921, Oct 17, 2014.

1. thenewsouth1921

thenewsouth1921 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    I'm worried about my hen who developed some disease while molting.. yesterday gave her a warm bath and electrolytes. I thought it was egg binding but during the bath I didn't feel any egg.. but her rear is very swollen.. I want to know what this is and what I can do about it. She isn't acting strange other than she wont sit with the other hen she just stands. Finally got photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She seems better after the bath but it still persist. By the way - the other hen had a similar infection / swelling on top of her tail but it was treated and went away. Would love to become a chicken farmer one day :) www.1921.us

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like she may have a vent prolapse. It's hard to see that well in the pictures. You will want to put honey or Preparation H ointment onto and inside the vent opening after the vent is cleaned of poo. Then you need to try to push the internal tissue back inside to prevent it from drying out and dying. Epsom salt soaks to the vent area would well to help keep this area clean. Prolapsed vents often are caused by eggs being stuck, so take a rubber glove and stick it inside the vent 1 inch aimed upward to check for an egg. You will want to stop or slow down her egg laying if she has been laying, by placing her in a dark room or covering her cage for 16 out of every 24 hours. Decreasing the protein in her feed may help that also--some do this by feeding whole grains. A closeup picture may help. Here is some information to read:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
    http://beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm

3. thenewsouth1921

thenewsouth1921 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Thank you so much! I gave her a bath with warm water and some vinegar and she seemed better but problem persists. I don't have a separated pen I will need to build one.. But I did check for an egg it just felt swollen. She is not laying.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The honey or Preparation H or even sugar paste can help the swelling go down, and it may be easier to push back inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by