Help to identify some ducklings

ajohno

In the Brooder
May 31, 2022
I would be so great full of anybody could help-we have recently acquired 4 ducklings-
I feel like I have 3 pekin (my dad thinks Aylesbury) ….but I have no idea about the browny yellow one-her feet are also brown…and she has been more confident than the others in water-I would also say she slightly smaller and slimmer….(I’m saying she, but I’m not entirely sure on her gender, as she is also the most quite of the 4)

Any help appreciated-I’m very new to keeping Ducks-and these were a bit of a rescue type situation.

I can take some better pictures if needed.

Attachments

• 4D9AA842-C4B7-4E18-B83B-4755AE440A8C.png
    4D9AA842-C4B7-4E18-B83B-4755AE440A8C.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 17C4E910-132C-4CAC-9362-4D3E9B0756E9.jpeg
    17C4E910-132C-4CAC-9362-4D3E9B0756E9.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 5C8637F3-964A-4B3B-BAFF-2C71FE48ADB0.jpeg
    5C8637F3-964A-4B3B-BAFF-2C71FE48ADB0.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 067310AA-1C0A-4DDF-87EE-79E42F3DD1FE.jpeg
    067310AA-1C0A-4DDF-87EE-79E42F3DD1FE.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 6
your darker one maybe a Golden 300
https://www.metzerfarms.com/golden-300-hybrid-layer-ducks.html
Pinkish bills could be White Layer
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/ducks.30/
Where did you get your ducklings and are you in the USA? don't usually see Aylesbury here in the USA.
:welcome
Sure are precious
Hey-I’m in the UK-a local nursery school hatched them out for the children to see and then just gave them away to one of the mum’s!! So I have no idea where they were from 😢

your darker one maybe a Golden 300
https://www.metzerfarms.com/golden-300-hybrid-layer-ducks.html
Pinkish bills could be White Layer
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/ducks.30/
Where did you get your ducklings and are you in the USA? don't usually see Aylesbury here in the USA.
:welcome
Sure are precious
I think you could be correct though-I bet they just purchased some eggs from a farm shop in the hope they would hatch…..so egg laying ducks would make complete sense!

I would be so great full of anybody could help-we have recently acquired 4 ducklings-
I feel like I have 3 pekin (my dad thinks Aylesbury) ….but I have no idea about the browny yellow one-her feet are also brown…and she has been more confident than the others in water-I would also say she slightly smaller and slimmer….(I’m saying she, but I’m not entirely sure on her gender, as she is also the most quite of the 4)

Any help appreciated-I’m very new to keeping Ducks-and these were a bit of a rescue type situation.

I can take some better pictures if needed.
Pure aylesbury are pretty rare- mix breeds are more common, at least where I am.
I suspect yours are likely either a mix between pekin and aylesbury, or white layer. That said I have seen pekin ducklings with pinkish bills, so ultimately time will tell!
If the bills start to turn orange, they could be (possibly only part) pekins.
My girls are an aylesbury and pekin mix- hatched from shop eggs- their bills started out pure pink, and around 12-16 weeks their bills started to turn a mix between pink/amber and orange.
It will be easier to identify them once they're bigger, but I would definitely guess aylesbury/pekin mix!

Pure aylesbury are pretty rare- mix breeds are more common, at least where I am.
I suspect yours are likely either a mix between pekin and aylesbury, or white layer. That said I have seen pekin ducklings with pinkish bills, so ultimately time will tell!
If the bills start to turn orange, they could be (possibly only part) pekins.
My girls are an aylesbury and pekin mix- hatched from shop eggs- their bills started out pure pink, and around 12-16 weeks their bills started to turn a mix between pink/amber and orange.
It will be easier to identify them once they're bigger, but I would definitely guess aylesbury/pekin mix!
Thank you so much-they are around 2 weeks old now-they are the funniest things-I will see how they grow-I will be back with an update! 😂

Back
Top Bottom