Help to IDENTIFY what is the PROBLEM with the ROOSTER

PalomaNova

Songster
5 Years
Jul 4, 2018
Europe
Please help! our rooster is injured but i cannot understand if its his leg or wing.
He is just laying in one spot because our dog broke in to the coop. I attached the video. Can we heal him without taking him to the vet? Or should we end his pain?
Any tips highly appreciated! First time chicken owner.

He wasn't hit by a car, kicked by a horse, or something like that, was he? You could try supplementing thiamine. Have you had a lot of rain recently? Any respiratory issues?
As I mentioned our dog broke into the coop. So probably he hit him, I don't know because I was not there at that moment. This was a bad supervision of the dog of a father in law :(....

Please help! our rooster is injured but i cannot understand if its his leg or wing.
He is just laying in one spot because our dog broke in to the coop. I attached the video. Can we heal him without taking him to the vet? Or should we end his pain?
Any tips highly appreciated! First time chicken owner.
How long ago did this happen?
I would look for any bruising/swelling or puncture wounds - feathers hide things.

The crossing of the legs and immobility of the wings are concerning, but if this just happened, he may still be in shock. He's quite pale too.
I would offer him some electrolytes or sugar water. Don't worry about feed right now. Keep him quiet and calm.
I'm hoping it's shock and soreness, but could be he suffered some spinal injury or if the dog did get him, he may have been squeezed. I would give him a day or two if he stays somewhat alert to see how it goes.

How long ago did this happen?
I would look for any bruising/swelling or puncture wounds - feathers hide things.

The crossing of the legs and immobility of the wings are concerning, but if this just happened, he may still be in shock. He's quite pale too.
I would offer him some electrolytes or sugar water. Don't worry about feed right now. Keep him quiet and calm.
I'm hoping it's shock and soreness, but could be he suffered some spinal injury or if the dog did get him, he may have been squeezed. I would give him a day or two if he stays somewhat alert to see how it goes.
Thanks for your feedback! It happened around 10 hours ago and this was filmed 5 hours after. I did not see any puncture wounds or swelling yet. I also looked for dislocation or broken bones and does not seem to be the case either...

Thanks for your feedback! It happened around 10 hours ago and this was filmed 5 hours after. I did not see any puncture wounds or swelling yet. I also looked for dislocation or broken bones and does not seem to be the case either...
The first couple of days are critical, he may still be in shock since it's not been too long.
I would give the sugar water or electrolytes, keep check on him, but see how he is after 24hrs. It may not be long enough to notice bruising, so I would look again tomorrow.

The first couple of days are critical, he may still be in shock since it's not been too long.
I would give the sugar water or electrolytes, keep check on him, but see how he is after 24hrs. It may not be long enough to notice bruising, so I would look again tomorrow.
I have checked on him this morning and he was able to stand up and seemed much more alert, nearly as alert as when he was healthy. He had his sugar water but no food yet. He was in his coop so I did not want to push him to move in order not to stress him too much. After some observation I noticed that when he walks he limbs or even falls on his left side. So I think it's his foot that is injuired. How can I help him further? Or do I leave him alone for now with observation? I tried to film him but did not get the movement part as of yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom