Help!!! Tom injured with black skin and inflated waddle!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sundogz, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Sundogz

Sundogz In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2018
    Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong with my turkey Tom? We have three Narragansett toms and they got into a vicious fight today- two just absolutely coated in blood and mud on their heads with lacerations all over them.
    Our best Tom, Regent, has awful discoloration all over his head along the back of his neck (dark purple-black splotches like tar) and the skin on his face has multiple charred black areas that are hard and crispy.
    His waddle also now has a bloated liquid mass in it, which changes shape when pressed on.
    Is anything wrong with him, or is this normal?? His eye also seems to be strangely seated. I added one before picture so you see what he looked like before today. IMG_5606.JPG IMG_4380.JPG

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Those are all fighting wounds. They will heal up.

3. Sundogz

Sundogz In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2018
    Are you sure? Even the black plating and waddle bloat will resolve itself?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My toms look like that too this time of year. It's normal if you have more than one Tom. I haven't had one not heal up. As long as he doesn't fight again he should be fine.

5. Sundogz

Sundogz In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2018
    Okay thank you so much. Also, is it normal for a hen to get involved in a springtime fight? One of ours is puffing up and making a female version of the fighting sounds. And how do I keep my Tom from fighting again?

6. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Yes, hens can and do get involved in the fights too. A good tom will not allow the hens to fight.

The only way to stop the fighting among the toms is to separate them into different pens so they cannot see each other. If they are just separated by a wire fence they will continue fighting through the fence.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Spring is the crazy season for most poultry. All are wanting to mate and establish dominance. I let my turkeys fight it out for the most part, but I will step in if things get out of hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: