HELP! Torn Crop!

SiLK

Chirping
13 Years
May 4, 2008
I feel absolutely horrible, I had lifted my hen, Starla and she
spooked. In the process, she apparently opened a gash that exposed her
crop. There is a hold about the size of a dime in it large enough that
it's leaked out all the water she had been drinking.
She's drinking normally and seems more confused than injured, but
needless to say, I feel terrible that this happened!

Is there any way at all to save this hen and should I try to bandage the area, or would it be kinder to just
put her down?
Please respond ASAP!

Have you done a search on crops here or even on the internet? Most people have tried to do the surgery themselves but if you think you are able to stich her, you should give it a try...
I wish I could be of more help sorry.

I would see if you can wash the area with a sterile saline solution, and then see if you can't sew it back up to close the wound, then close the wound in her skin but not tightly so it can drain. Antibiotics in a case like this is warranted since it is possible to get an infection.

It's not a death sentence and can be done. Maybe this post which is also graphic may be able to guide you some. It is about a crop opperation.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21291

I have done several searches, but there isn't much o nthe internet dealing with this sort of injury.
I only have regular sewing thread, I have no experience with stitching animals and no one to guide me, so I'm afraid that I would do more harm than good if I attempted to stitch her.
By now the crop seems to be protruding through the skin so I'm at a loss

I'll have to contact the vet, though I really hate to do so. He treated my last hen like a piece of defective machinery then told me that she'd probably die anyway when she only had bumblefoot and did just fine. I don't think very highly of him, as he's neither experienced nor caring when it comes to birds.
Just explaining in case anyone thinks I should have done that to start out.

I really wish I could help you. Do you have anyone at home that might be willing to give you a hand? Is the crop cut or just the flesh holding it in? Do you think you could at least shove it back in place and maybe get some medical gauze or something like it to keep it inside ( wrap it around her ) till you can get her to the vet? Make sure it's nice and secure. You'll just need some help. Do you have any nurse friends?

I only have my older brother, and he's squirmish around injuries. I can probably manage on my own if there's no alternative, it's only my emotional attachment to this bird that's really bothering me.
The crop is cut and hanging loose.

Unfortunately it's dark now, but she seems to be doing well enough for the moment. I have her in a rabbit hutch on clean straw with clean food and water available.
I'm going to try washing the area tomorrow and from there try to decide the best course of action.
if anyone here has ever stitched a chicken, could they please explain to me what they did? I don't have any medical supplies, only the thread that I use to sew dolls together.
The skin looks so thin, I'm a little afraid of it tearing if I pierce it.
I don't want to cause the hen any more pain than I have to.

I would try and approximate the edges of the wound and tape it together,or use butter fly bandages clean it well,dry it if it was a dog I would say shave the area so the adhesive would sstick better.You can buy butterfly bandages and benzoine solution to paint on the edges then tape it or the bandaids it helps make them stick better.Maybe feed starter crumbles that she won't need grit to digest and like someone else said some antibiotics.Keep her seperated from the rest and quiet.Good luck

I would clean her up with hydrogen peroxide then seal the wound with that liquid skin stuff. If that is not available, you could just try pulling it closed and putting a bandaid on like a butterfly stitch until you can get some. Poor girl, I hope she does ok.

Back
Top Bottom