HELP - Treat Suggestions for duck with hurt beak - recuperating hopefully

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Em, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Em

Em Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    Vancouver Island
    My Indian Runner 'Roadie' was attacked by a hawk yesterday, she has what looks like a scratch on her beak that was bleeding. I looked today now she is calmer and seems OK, preening, quacking - I have her in the garage resting, with some hay and one of my chickens. But I am worried she isnt eating enough - she picks but doesnt consume lots. I have tried yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs - any suggestions for favorite healthy duck treats? I am about 2 hours away from the vet - did talk to her today and only worry is the eating piece.

2. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Sorry about the attack be careful as the hawk will most likely return if he thinks he's found an easy meal. Did u witness attack if so how u stop it I ask because I have not experienced an attack yet but have them stalking around so the kids and I take shifts watching our ducks while foraging. Have read on here they are relentless predators. If your sure Roadie has no major injuries it could be she has been traumatized and to having her in a different place then where she normally stays but that needs to be done for her protection. Hopefully someone with more experience on here will chime in soon they are very helpful and supportive on this sight. I would try electrolytes in her drinking water to in sure hydration. Maybe let her swim in your tub in lukewarm water. It may hurt her to eat her reg. feed try some peas, cut bok choy up put in a warm water like a soup try moistening her feed so its soft. My ducks love cooked plain oatmeal brewers yeast sprinkled over food is a good general vitamin. Just push the electrolytes on her. Again sorry about the attack and consider yourself a blessed one some of the hawk attacks I've read about are horrible. Hope Roadie feels better keep us posted.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    duckins pretty much covered it. We all share that dread about attacks. [​IMG]

Saline solution rinse, or lukewarm chamomile tea rinse or Veterycin rinse for the bill, a couple of times a day. She's likely in at least mild shock. You could also try some poultry Nutri-Drench as it has calories and a few extra vitamins. Bless her. Keep watch for any hidden puncture wounds, such as under her wings. Her bill probably hurts like all get out, so softer foods when she comes around are a good idea.

1 person likes this.
  4. Em

Em Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    Vancouver Island
    I was actually about 20 feet away when the hawk attacked, I like to think I am pretty aware of whats around but it just came out of nowhere, her chicken friend sounded the alarm, I yelled at the hawk and was there in seconds - it seemed like he had to think before he flew away, ie he wasnt that scared of me. Shes had a couple baths in the tub and is returning to her normal self, I will try electolytes today as she is drinking as per normal. Thanks for the comments.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This report is chilling. Twenty feet away. We have a number of raptors in our area, as it is a partly wooded suburb near perhaps 100 acres or more of state forest. shudder.

Consider some kind of twice daily rinse for her bill to prevent infection and help healing.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Sorry to hear about the hawk but glad your duck was only injured a bit and seems to be doing okay.

If you are in an urban or suburban area, hawks tend to be a bit more aggressive and much less scared of people. If legal in your area, you can shoot a round of whatever is you loudest firearm into the ground to scare the hawk. DO NOT try to injure/harm the bird, all raptors are protected by federal law.

I am in the country and the hawks here have taken some of my young chickens when they were in the pasture. But, they high tail it when I walk outside even from 200' away. Recently, I had an adult chicken taken by a hawk at the edge of the woods but just inside. I hapened to go out and as soon as it heard the door close, hopped from the ground to the tree and flew off. Then the crows gave chase. I happened to stay outside for quite some time and a bit later, it came back with a friend. I fired a 9mm round into the ground and the hawks literally turned tail and flew off.

If you cannot fire a weapon, anything loud and somewhat unusual may help. Shouts may or may not work. Fireworks the popping kind not the big pyrotechnic type, if you can find them now and again if legal, may work. Air horns, pots and pans banged together etc.

A permanent deterant is best. Netting or fencing on the run's roof. I have had really good luck with fishing line. Knock on wood. In a very open area outside of their run I put up two 10' pieces of pvc pipe with fishing line attached to the top running out to the fencing. There are pieces of frayed, colored rope tied along the fishing line to make it more visible. I have not had any losses in this area at all. Again, knock on wood.

7. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Had close encounter with hawk today whew it was freaky. I think it waits for me to step inside that's when it shows up and flys away when i come right back out little did I know a football was going to be the biggest threat of the day my son accidentally threw it in their pool while swimming what a day in the duck world thankfully everyone's fine what will 2 morrow bring. Again hope Roadies feeling better.

8. Em

Em Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    Vancouver Island
    My duck is fine, but the hawk did come back - I had been watching all week and didnt see it and then Friday let them out and it showed up within 10 minutes - I shooed them all in, all OK. Mr. Redtail is not scared of me at all, threw rocks, yelled - a bear banger finally did the trick and it flew off so I will keep one on me just in case (for those of you who dont have a gun in the house). Hopefully he moves on come spring - maybe hes moved in as I the crows seem to have moved on temporaily as have ethe eagles - which havent yet been an issue. Its easier to see an eagle approaching than the hawk...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by