Help: Treating a bird from a Hawk Attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dulcijean, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Dulcijean

Dulcijean In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I had a red tail fly under the hen house (which was mostly protected) grab the largest bird and try to eat her right there. When my husband managed to run at them, the hawk couldn't lift the hen to make a get-a-way. This happened to my silkie bantam yesterday. She is alive, but was stunned at the time. This morning it her right eye is so swollen that it appears it might be missing. It is oozing a clear fluid now. I'm not sure how to treat her. She is eating and drinking. Is there something I should give her to avoid infection?

2. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Songster

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    i have no experiance yet, so like with any other pet/livestock i would recomend a trip to the vet. if that is not in the budget and you think it has no other major injuries and otherwise survivable i would clean the area with peroxide and wrap it in gauze and tape. maybe find some small panty hose to cover with to help keep clean, just snip the end for beak and maybe other eye. i did this for a cat i found on the side of a road and it lived. thats a good sign if its eating and drinking.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  3. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    doe she make a whizzing sound when she breath?

4. Dulcijean

Dulcijean In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    Bel Air, Maryland
    She is breathing fine. It looks like the hawk grabbed her haed and punctured her eye. I cleaned it with peroxide as was suggested, then put tripple antibiotic ointment over that side of her face. That side is really swollen, but she seems no worse for wear. None of the bantams have any desire to leave the safety of their coop.

5. DDRanch

DDRanch Songster

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Dulcijean,

Re-post this on the emergency thread. Good luck, I hope she makes it.

Anne

6. Dulcijean

Dulcijean In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by