Help treating wounded chicken.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gorgemom, Aug 13, 2007.

1. gorgemom

gorgemom Hatching

May 28, 2007
    Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice on treating a wounded chicken. I have a 4 month old puppy who took ahold of one of my laying hens and ripped the skin right off of her neck. It looks horrible! Her neck is raw. I washed it and placed non stick pads with neosporin on it but I want to go to the feed store today and get something more appropriate for a chicken. She is acting fine, eating, drinking, her breathing is not labored. I have seperated her from the other chickens so they don't peck at her. Any ideas for treatment would be appreciated. Oh and as a side note, we are going to spend some detailed time with the puppy to try to train this out of her, but if we can't she will go to a new home that is not near any chickens!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Sounds like you did just the right thing. The puppy was doing what puppies do! Playing. I sure hope you can teach the pup those hens are YOURS..and not her play toys. Ya might want to call a vet, and try to get some antibiotics for the hen...just to ward off any infection. Other than that...sounds like you are a great chicken mommy. Good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: