Help treating wounded chicken.

gorgemom

Hatching
12 Years
May 28, 2007
Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice on treating a wounded chicken. I have a 4 month old puppy who took ahold of one of my laying hens and ripped the skin right off of her neck. It looks horrible! Her neck is raw. I washed it and placed non stick pads with neosporin on it but I want to go to the feed store today and get something more appropriate for a chicken. She is acting fine, eating, drinking, her breathing is not labored. I have seperated her from the other chickens so they don't peck at her. Any ideas for treatment would be appreciated. Oh and as a side note, we are going to spend some detailed time with the puppy to try to train this out of her, but if we can't she will go to a new home that is not near any chickens!

Sounds like you did just the right thing. The puppy was doing what puppies do! Playing. I sure hope you can teach the pup those hens are YOURS..and not her play toys. Ya might want to call a vet, and try to get some antibiotics for the hen...just to ward off any infection. Other than that...sounds like you are a great chicken mommy. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom