help! tried the old switcheroo-magic babies!! not working

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lauraj2, Jun 25, 2010.

1. lauraj2

lauraj2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    I had only one egg hatch on tuesday, went to the feed store and got 2 babies to put under momma and it doesn't seem to be working. She seems to be taking one of them, similar in color to the one she hatched, but is pecking and scolding the other one that is black. She had two eggs under her... does she know she's only supposed to have 2 babies? I don't know what to do, should I keep sticking it under her today and see if she warms up to it and accepts it?

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Did you put the new babies under her at night?

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I made the switch at night with mine and it went well. Maybe just keep an eye on her and things will settle down. I don't think they know what they *should* be hatching. I put polish under a Wyandotte - and she seems completely fooled that they aren't hers, [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lauraj2

Jun 6, 2009
    No, but it was real dark in the brooder, so I thought it would be OK. She got up off the nest with her chick, which I wasn't expecting, and was acting mean with the black one, so I brot it in and when it got really dark out last nite I sneeked it back under her. All was well, then this a.m. I put some fresh food and water in and she got up and called her chick over, then when the new ones came over to eat with her she started pecking at them again. I stuck them back under her and they are still there. Gonna go check again now. Do you think she will accept them?

5. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Soap Opera chicken style!!

6. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Mine won't take new baby either she pecked her until her beak was bloody so I kicked her out and left the one hatched and the feed store baby in together. They are both over week and under light so they should do o.k. Good luck I hope she does better than my hen.

7. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I'm anxious to hear what's going on... good luck! [​IMG]

8. lauraj2

Jun 6, 2009
    Just checked and all seems to be OK. Mamma is clucking and I don't see any of the chicks, they are all under her now. Maybe I am checking on her too often and should leave her alone! I think maybe its the color? Although I remember my mom putting ducks and turkeys and everything else under a hen and she'd take them and raise them!! Wish me luck and I' ll keep ya posted...

9. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    i just did this three days ago and did a lot of research on here first. EVERY SINGLE POST about putting chicks under a broody says you have to do it at night. so that must be really really important to most hens. if she rejects the chick again, would try again when the hen is sleeping.

10. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    i had two broody b/o hens sitting on wooden eggs. got 8 chicks from mpc, 4 speckled sussex and 4 australorps. i took away the eggs the night we got the chicks, put the chicks under the broodies and watched closely. originally, i was going to split them each with it's own breed to raise, but then my daughter wanted one of each to go with three of the other breed. anyway, the broody who had more speckled sussex started to pick on the only black chick, so i just switched them back again. so one has all speckled sussex and my other broody had the 4 australorps. both are fine now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by