Help! TSC misinformation...Cornish Rock or Male Gold Sex Link?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SevenWinds, May 10, 2009.

1. SevenWinds

SevenWinds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    We went in to TSC to purchase our first cornish rocks and the young man told us that the bin had a mix of cornish rocks and rhode island reds. We purchased the four remaining cornish rocks and the two supposed rhode islands. Once I got home, I look online and now know the RIR chicks were really female Gold sex links. So when the cornish rocks came in again last week, we purchased six more. Now we see a difference between some of the chicks, but we aren't sure if it is age or if it is because the first cornish rocks were really male sex links (which might make sense as they were in the same bin with the supposed RIR/real female gold sex links)?

Does anyone know how to tell the difference?

My dilemma is that the cornish rocks are supposed to go to 12 hour on/off feedings so I was already going to separate out the gold sex links and now I am not sure if I should separate all of the chicks I think are cornish rocks....

I've looked at pictures of both chicks....I've held old and new next to each other and besides weight I see no difference...my kids think the fat ones look like they have lighter legs than a skinnier one we pulled from the brooder (more orange)..I'm not sure I even see that.

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    your not suppose to take the food away from my understanding until the cornish rocks are 5 days old. If they are cornish rocks you should be able to tell quickly by how fast they are growing. They should gain a pound a week.

3. SevenWinds

SevenWinds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    The first four are over five days old (the ones in question). The others are five days old today. Would it harm the Gold Sex Links ("RIR") to be without food 12 hours like the Cornish Rocks or should I just start another brooder for them?

Thanks

4. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    Post some pics and someone might be able to tell you what is what. I would put them in seperate brooders.

5. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I would put them in a seperate brooder. No sense in not feeding the ones you know are ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by