Help Turkey Poult Looks Like Baloon?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bemba, Nov 11, 2010.

1. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Hi guys, I have 5 6 week old turkey poults, all are happy and healthy, and very tame. Anyway, was following the ducks to the dam, and the turkeys decided to come too. So I watched the ducks for a while, and they just pecked around, all were fine at this stage, went back to the house with them following, turned around and saw one of them gasping a bit and walking really funny, picked him/her up and on one side of the body, mainly around the leg, looks like a baloon filled with air! Its pretty full on, what could have caused that to happen so suddenly? Is this a busted air sac?? Please any help would be great [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I've never had a bird with a ruptured air sac, so all my knowledge of them comes from reading. Ruptured air sacs are usually the result of trauma. There are air sacs located in the chest, neck and abdomen. This is considered an avian emergency because if the rupture gets worse the bird can die from it. Most of the reading I have done indicates that if you can release the pooled air under the skin, the air sac has a chance of healing, although it may not and can recur at any time. Once it happens the bird is always at risk for a recurrence.

To release the pooled air- clean the area to be worked on with alcohol and insert a hypodermic needle into the bubble and let as much air out as possible being cautious not to insert the needle too deeply. Repeat this procedure as needed. If you don't have any hypos another recommendation was using a small knife or scissors to make incision. Antibiotics are recommended to aid the bird after an injury such as this. With a simple air sac rupture with no complications the healing time is about 2 weeks. Keep the bird quiet and calm during that time.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Thankyou so much for the info..... I am going to do that now ,I'll let you know how I go [​IMG] Fingers crossed

4. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Done!! Nearly all the air has been expelled, he/she is still walking funny, so I assume that the area will be bruised and sore? it didn't even bleed and the turkey did'nt seem to mind me doing it either, so antibiotics...... should I start that right away?

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I haven't been able to find any information about what type of antibiotic should be used, so unless someone chimes in with more knowledge on antibiotic usage than myself, I can't help you there. I generally don't give antibiotics unless there is an obvious infection in my birds, consequently I have only used an antibiotic once in the years I have been raising poultry.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

6. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    That's ok CMV, your info was very helpful, the turkey is actually walking normally now.... bizzare!! I will keep an eye on him/her though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by