HELP!!!! Turky disease killing turkeys!!!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Rachel's Hobby Hatchery, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Rachel's Hobby Hatchery

Rachel's Hobby Hatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    North West Michagan
    my femail turkey died three days ago. She seemd healthy until a day before she died. When she started showing symptoms it was a swollen, very bloody vent with white stuf in it... I thought she just had a stuck egg so I left her alone. When I came home a couple of hours later she had somthing long & bloody hanging out of her vent. The chickens pulled it out... It looked like intestine or worms [​IMG] Then some more of what ever it was came out (so it wasnt a worm, worms that are broke off outside go back in)... I took her away from the chickens so they didnt hurt her. she was really cold and pail as her feathers. she was also very weak... we broght her next to the fire that we happend to be having and started rubbing her to warm her up. I dont know if it helped but she did die later that night.
    Now my tom turkey is having a bloody vent with white stuff comming out. He is still acting/looking normal but Im afraid that he may die too [​IMG]
    !PLEASE HELP! I CANT LOOSE BOTH OF THEM!

2. SaraF

SaraF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Ohio
    My first thought was she prolasped. If she is at laying age, it might be from pushing an egg out to hard, causing everything to prolaspe out through her vent. Its happened at lot in chickens that I can tell, but also happens in turkeys. But if your tom is doing it to... my best educated guess would be coccidiosis.
    Coccidiosis affects the intestinal tract and results in infections and bleeding. It is spread by birds eating/drinking anything with the infected feces. One of the main signs in bloody diarrhea and white material may come with the blood and diarrhea.
    I am really hoping this is not what your birds have. On your feed label, is your feed medicated with Monesin? This prevents coccidiosis.

This is my main site for all poultry diseases. I hope this may help.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/84/coccidiosis-of-turkeys

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  3. Rachel's Hobby Hatchery

Jul 16, 2010
    North West Michagan
    That sounds exactly right [​IMG] OMG, what do I do for them all!?!?? No, I dont feed medicated feed. The turkeys were in with the chickens and ducks, they all attacked that thing that came out!!! OMG [​IMG] I have had coccidiosis in my rabbits several times and every time they get it they die... so I know this is bad!!! HELP!!! Im panicing!!! [​IMG]

4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    imnot sure which cocci meds are available where you are but i know of a few names of meds ... ESB-3, COXOID, BAYCOX, CORID they all help coccidiose.
    sadly though ive realised with cocci...is that if its at the bloody/damaged intestine stage, they do not recover.
    but if you have other turkeys who are not yet showing symptoms treat them anyway before its too late.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  5. SaraF

SaraF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Ohio
    if it is coccidiosis, and your tom is still alive, isolate him. You can always try to treat him, but im not to sure of his chances of living if he is this far into it, i'm afriad. I'd ask your verterinarian. Most don't know much about birds, but they should all know about coccidiosis. So ask him/her, and ask about Coxoid. It usually only works at the first signs of coccidiosis. But, i would treat your whole flock of birds with this, via water.

6. Rachel's Hobby Hatchery

Jul 16, 2010
    North West Michagan
    What are the first signs of it??? I never notesed any signs before my hen started bleeding very bad out of her vent (but I wasnt looking). my Tom has a very swollen vent and he is bleeding out of it, he has very loose poops and seems to have a hard time pooping. I have isolated him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by