HELP - two chickens are hiding head and stand still

DangerChickenHouse

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I have a flock of four who share a roomy coop at night and free range all day. Two of the four are behaving strangely.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Bird #1 - barred rock, almost ready to lay first egg, normal weight
Bird #2 - golden comet, almost ready to lay first egg, normal weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
They will act normal. Then, stop, tuck head in wing, not move for a long time.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Bird #1 - 2 days
Bird #2 - one week

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No. They are in a flock of four.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Feed, meal worms, mixed seeds, and occasional veggie leftovers

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Just started Cocci (sp?) treatment for all four birds. One teaspoon per gallon.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I can get one tomorrow if needed

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
New house. Bedding is fresh. Shavings from the feed store.

The only issue is this strange behavior. They have the best cozy chicken conditions and are spoiled. I'm worried the head tucking is a sign of an illness coming.

And no, bullying isn't a factor.

And no, there is not a light keeping them awake at night. They are sleeping the long winter hours in the dark.

Last edited:
How old are they? Are you seeing this behavior at night mostly, or during the day? Chickens will tuck their heads under a wing to sleep or keep warm normally. The symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, puffing up with head tucked in, ruffled feathers, poor appetite, and diarrhea. The dosage of Corid is 1 to 1 1/2 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid per gallon for treatment, and half that strength for preventativee dose.

My barred rock sleeps in the coop with my silkie and BO. When I open the door, they all look at me.

The Comet roosts on the rafters in the run. She doesn't seem to tuck her head.

This morning I gave them one teaspoon of dry corridor in each waterer that holds one liter. Was I wrong to do this?

I've never wormed my chickens. Should I?

They are about 6 months old.

Last edited:
That Corid dose is too strong. Mix 1 1/2 tsp. in 1 gallon or 3/4 tsp in 1/2 gallon, then split it for 2 Qt. size containers. I would worrm them now, or wait until after the Corid treatment. Valbazen and Safe-guard Liquid is good.

My barred rock sleeps in the coop with my silkie and BO. When I open the door, they all look at me.

The Comet roosts on the rafters in the run. She doesn't seem to tuck her head.

This morning I gave them one teaspoon of dry corridor in each waterer that holds one liter. Was I wrong to do this?

I've never wormed my chickens. Should I?

They are about 6 months old.

That is too much powder, but you should be fine, it's very safe.FYI, I have given both Corid and wormer at the same time.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom