Help! Two Day Old Chick Is Sick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwinsLoveChicks, Sep 30, 2016.

1. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    Just two days ago a tiny baby chick named Joy was born and she isn't acting like a normal two day old chick. She's smaller than she should be, she has tiny feet, and the membrane on her eggshell when she first hatched wasn't healthy. What can I do to help her? Would electrolyte water help? Please answer soon!
    Thanks!

-TwinsLoveChicks

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    SaveAChick electrolytes with vitamins added to her water, or Poultry Nutri-drench or Poultry Cell 1 ml orally daily plus all of the water you can get her to drink by dipping her beak would be best. Keep her warm enough, around 90-95 F to prevent her from chilling. Infection sounds like it could be a problem, and that can be a common problem with chicks hatched at home. How does her umbilical stump look? Sprinkle some chick crumbles on a paper towel around her feet so that she will start eating. Good luck, and keep us posted.

3. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    Thank you so much for answering, but she died the same day I posted this. I think she would have made it. I'm pretty sure her mother accidentally stepped on her neck.[​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that you lost her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by