Help! Two huge timing problems and I'm coming to lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kupi99, May 12, 2010.

  1. kupi99

    kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

    202
    0
    119
    Apr 7, 2009
    First big prob- I think I am off on what day I am on. Based on my hatch date of May 18, this should be day 15. But my the counter I have been using in my classroom has us on day 12. It's quiet possible I'm off on my counter, but I am nervous now. I candled an egg and its looks the most like the day 12/13 pics in the candling sticky above. Now, early in my hatch, I had some problems with low temps, so it could easily be that we are actually on 15, but behind in development.
    So when do I put them in lockdown? On the 15th as I believe the schedule? Candle and look to see when they look to be at day 18?
    That is problem one.

    Problem two. I am incubating these eggs in the classroom. I thought we might suffer from low temp issues, so I planned that they would hatch on a Tues, giving is plenty of time if the chicks were late. However, this puts our orginally scheduled lock down day for Sat. Now I can come up here and do it on Sat, but I would rather do it on a weekday when the kids can be present. Also, it's alot easier for me to do it during the week. Can I put these eggs into lockdown on Friday or Monday? What happens if you go into lockdown early or late? Bear in mind how all this plays out with my first issue.

    I'll be checking this tomorrow to see what I should do before the weekend.

    (And FYI, we haven't had any signfigant temp issues since like the first 3 or 4 days of the hatch).
     
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. SarahFair

    SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Hm...
    Maybe just right before school lets out on friday?
    But if they are only on day 12 you would be putting them on lockdown WAY too early.
     
  3. kupi99

    kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

    202
    0
    119
    Apr 7, 2009
    Bump.

    Sorry for the bump, but it's Thursday I could really use the help before tomorrow, so I know if I can put them in lockdown on Friday (what should be day 17) or wait until Monday (what should be day 20) or not. I also need to know if I have to make time to come up here Saturday and do it.[​IMG]


    Thanks!
     
  4. abanjaf

    abanjaf Chillin' With My Peeps

    368
    4
    133
    Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    Normally putting the eggs into lockdown a day early isn't that big of a deal, if and only if you are sure of what day you're on. By the time you are ready to go into lockdown, the egg should look almost completely dark (filled with chick) except the air cell. When Friday afternoon rolls around, if you find this not to be the case then I would wait. I don't know if there is a correct answer to be had here. Unless you are a big hatchery that has made a science out of hatching, then whatever you decide to do is a gamble. I would go by candling and see how the eggs look. If you are comparing your eggs to candling pictures and they appear to be behind as your counter is, then you might be better off delaying your lockdown til Monday. Wishing you the best of luck!
     
  5. biddybird

    biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

    290
    0
    109
    May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Quote:I totally agree. When hay baling last year we saw a wild Turkey fly out in front of the tractor. I investigated and found a nest of 14 eggs. Took them home that night(the nest was doomed), put them in my still air bator and totally went by the air pocket on lock-down. Timed it good and hatched 11(much to my amazement, since they were not under the Mom for around 10hrs). Since that time, I have delayed lock down a couple of times, when I check air pockets and the eggs seem wrong. It has paid off.
     
  6. glenolam

    glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

    483
    0
    109
    Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Based on your "day 15" candling, I would assume a Monday lockdown would be good enough, but the best thing to do (and most educational for your class!) would be to candle tomorrow. If the eggs are all dark, you can't see any blood or veins, just the air sack, then I would come in Saturday morning and lock down. You could have your kids turn the eggs again once more Friday afternoon - even if they are right on time one more turn won't kill them.

    If it turns out that in the candling on Friday you still see some blood/veins, then wait and lock down on Monday.

    You're talking to a non-text book hatcher here! I've made more "mistakes" than anyone I've ever talked to and I've only had 1 batch in three years that had less than a 70% rate. So I think the FIRST thing you should do is relax....chickens aren't perfect either and they hatch out chicks every day!

    Good luck! [​IMG]
     
  7. kupi99

    kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

    202
    0
    119
    Apr 7, 2009
    Thanks guys. I'll candle then tom.

    Just one more cavat- I had low temp issues early in the hatch- from day 1 till about day 4. So there is a possiblity that today is day 16 and not day 13, and they are just under developed for day 16. If that is the case, will delaying lockdown until Monday kill the chicks? In other words, is it ok to wait to go into lockdown for a few days if the chicks look they are behind in development? Seems to be the answer is yes, I just wanna be sure.

    Thank you for all the help. I'll be heading home around 4:30, so if I could get some replies before that, it's be helpful. If not I'll check back tomorrow before we candle.
     
  8. kupi99

    kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

    202
    0
    119
    Apr 7, 2009
    Bump.

    Sorry again guys. I need to know if it ok to delay lockdown by a few days if the chicks look underdeveloped. I need to know this ASAP, so I can decide whether or not go into lockdown after I candle them with the kids. Thanks,
     
  9. esthermgr

    esthermgr Chillin' With My Peeps

    116
    0
    109
    Oct 28, 2009
    Delaying lockdown by a day or two or locking down a day or two early will not kill the chicks. THere are people on here who have forgotten the eggs in the turners and still had decent hatches by locking down when they noticed a pip! I've locked down one day before hatch and still had an excellent hatch. I've opened the incubator to add water, seen a pip, and then locked down. I personally think it's better to turn for a day or two longer than to stop turning too early, but I could be wrong- I live in a humid climate and maintaining humidity for hatch is not difficult for me. So I don't worry if I open the bator during hatch or briefly during lockdown. The most important things are to keep the temp right and keep the humidity in a nice comfy range. Then relax and enjoy the miracle.
     
  10. glenolam

    glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

    483
    0
    109
    Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Sorry, too, the time difference between where you are and where I am caused me not to respond (I was alredy on my way home...)

    Go with your gut and don't worry so much. If you think they need more time to develop, then wait until Monday. If the majority look viable and have a decent air sack, then lock down today or tomorrow.

    From everything I've heard, though, sounds like Monday might be the best day to lock down anyway...
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by