Help! Two ill Hens.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sarahjonrenae, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Sarahjonrenae

Sarahjonrenae In the Brooder

May 28, 2016
    I have 8 chickens. Barred rock, wyanndotte and some others I don't know the names of.
    My black (auatrolop?) And I believe Buff something... Are ill.
    Yesterday morning all was fine. I fed and got one egg. Saw them all fine in the afternoon. After my son's soccer practice and getting home about 6:40 I went out to give them fresh water and two were laying on their sides, legs out and lethargic. My husband and I put them in a sepersep house and syringed them some water. They made it through the night and there is very little improvement. Syringed them crushed food and water, with little change. I called local places who said without knowing, antibiotics could kill them.
    They barely open their eyes, and the back one has bloodshot eyes. Skin color looks normal. They won't weight bare on their legs and do not move their wings. They are just over a year old. No others are experiencing symptoms... Yet. I moved them out of their house and into the pool in order to get some sun.
    View attachment 1325966 View attachment 1325967

janetdieter likes this.
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    When you first saw them laying on their sides, legs out; was one leg stretched out in the front and the other leg stretched toward the rear?

janetdieter likes this.
  3. Sarahjonrenae

May 28, 2016

It was

4. Sarahjonrenae

May 28, 2016
    They have been like this since giving them ground up food. IMG_20180405_160015356.jpg

5. Sarahjonrenae

May 28, 2016
    Sorry for the horrible spelling and what not... My screen is cracked and isn't helpful.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Birds laying on their side with one leg stretched forward and the other leg stretched to the rear can be a sign of Marek's disease.
    I dont know much about Marek's disease, I've never had to deal with it.
    I think you should read up on it, especially about other symptoms of the disease. A necropsy may be necessary to verify if it's Marek's.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could they have gotten into something toxic in the yard, such as a dead animal carcass, poison or poisonous plants, or moldy feed? I have suddenly discovered blue-green mold in scratch or feed if it has been very humid or in hot weather. Mareks is a possibility, especially with the symptoms, but it usually doesn’t affect two at the exact same time. I would look at botulism, poisoning, or mold toxicity, as well as possible Mareks disease as causes. Make sure they can reach food and water at all times, and they may need help. So sorry for you and your chickens.

A good complete article on Mareks disease to look for here with a search or by Googling is The Great Big Giant Mareks Faq written by BYC member Nambroth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: