Help two of my chickens have died in the past week!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pinkpony, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Pinkpony

Pinkpony Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2012
    Enumclaw, Wa
    Hello everyone,
    Last week I had a chicken pass away in the night. I was sad but I have had chickens for a long time now and I know sometimes they just die. But this is the first time I have had two this close together die. I'm getting nervous my others might too. :/ As of right now they seem to be ok but the the one that just died was ok till yesterday.
    Here is how she was acting made someone can help. Most days she runs around chasing me or the dog but yesterday she was standing in one place and looked like she was sleeping standing up. Very depressed looking. She was eating and drinking still and all the poop in the coop looks normal. I gave her yogurt and B12 vitamins in water yesterday and I always have apple cider vinegar in their water. The lady at the feed store is great with chickens said it might be a fever so I gave her a little baby aspirin. Also got a new water and food bin. She was loving the yogurt and was drinking a ton of water so I thought maybe by morning she would be fine.
    Well this morning she was worse just laying up against the fence. I thought maybe she is egg bound! I took her in the house and gave her a warm bath but I could feel a bump. At first the bath was going well but when I picked her up to check if an egg was come out she tensed up took one last breath and passed away so sad.
    One last thing when I picked her up she had a mucus in her mouth.

Any help would be great. I long my chickens I want to make sure the others are safe!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes it helps to open up the dead chicken and do a necropsy, looking at the abdominal organs, the insides of the intestines, and checking for egg binding. Internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, and reproductive cancer are fairly common in hens. A crop or gizzard impaction can be common. Coccidiosis or enteritis may be seen by dark swollen areas or blood inside the intestines. Worms are also seen sometimes. Your state vet can do a professional necropsy for a fee to look for a cause of death. Sorry for your loss.

3. Pinkpony

May 30, 2012
    Enumclaw, Wa
    I was thinking about doing that but I thought it would be pricy. But reading your comment made me look into a place in my area just to see. I took her to the WSU avian research it's only $10 for necropsy. They will perform it tomorrow so I should know by the end of the week. I will keep my thread updated on what she has. Thanks again!

4. Pinkpony

May 30, 2012
    Enumclaw, Wa
    She died from renal failure due to kidney stones. :( They reason they believe is because I have chickens of all ages and she was eating high calcium layer food before she was laying. I'm going to add vitamin A I heard that helps with kidney stones. Does anyone know of anything else I can give my chickens to help with kidney stones?
    Thanks!

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I feed all of my chickens Purina All Flock. It has a very low calcium level. I offer a calcium supplement and grit at all times.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  6. Pinkpony

May 30, 2012
    Enumclaw, Wa
    That is the same food my chickens are on. When they were young I had them on different food but I change because the purina layer was easier to find. I also have oyster shells and grit out for them. Most of the time chickens just take what they need but maybe these two ate too much? :/ They both drank a ton of water so I know it's not that. We did move and they are free range now which I would think would be better. Who knows but I took the oyster shells out for now. Just in case the other are forming stones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by