HELP! Two of my young chickens have died of something similar

cdmadaio

Chirping
Dec 10, 2017
So, about a month ago my young rooster died unexpectedly after having a sour crop. Then, about a week ago, another one of my young hens died after having a sour crop, after my hen (Molly) died my father looked to see if anything was wrong and found blood in her mouth. HELP, I don't know what is happening, but I don't want any of my other chickens dying of the same causes

I would look at what they might be getting into out in the yard. I frequently find small pieces of glass, plastic, and hardware that has been in the ground for many years. Chickens will eat anything that fits into the beaks.

The type of feed you use may be helpful. Long grasses, straw, and other things may get stuck. Make sure you have granite grit available every day to help them break up food in the gizzard. If you lose another bird you may want to either get a professional necropsy by your state poultry lab, or consider opening the carcass yourself to examine abdominal organs yourself for anything unusual.
Sorry for your loss.

I would look at what they might be getting into out in the yard. I frequently find small pieces of glass, plastic, and hardware that has been in the ground for many years. Chickens will eat anything that fits into the beaks.

The type of feed you use may be helpful. Long grasses, straw, and other things may get stuck. Make sure you have granite grit available every day to help them break up food in the gizzard. If you lose another bird you may want to either get a professional necropsy by your state poultry lab, or consider opening the carcass yourself to examine abdominal organs yourself for anything unusual.
Sorry for your loss.

Thank you
We had an autopsy done on our roo, he got a hole in his intestine, and the small intestine went in that hole, and he bacame septic. We don't always give them granite chunks but they seem to find it anyway The second chicken we have no idea what killed her. We put her outside for the first time and 2 hours later, she died

I'm so sorry this happened to you, how sad. Do you know what caused the sour crop? What do they eat, and are they free ranging?

They eat mealworms, scratch grains, layer feed, corn, and sometimes a peck treat bar. And yes, they are free ranging

Back
Top Bottom