Help! Two pipped but no movement since last night!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rekabnivek, Aug 3, 2011.

1. rekabnivek

rekabnivek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    We have a polish egg and a bantam cochin egg that has pipped but nothing else. I haven't heard any peeps or seen any movement since early this morning. Should I help! One hatched yesterday. We were forced to use an ancient styrofoam incubator with an extremely large middle. I'm worried I may have disturbed them when I turned the lid to inspect the eggs. The box in the middle rolled a few around. PLEASE HELP!!! I'm so worried I may have messed the rest of the hatch up [​IMG]

2. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Many people may not approve of this (And I don't want negative feedback) But As soon as I see pips, I take my nail and scrape off the sheel that has been broken. Then, When I get down to the white membrane, I pierce it and peel it away until i can see the little beak. This way, he can breathe, and he doesn't spend all of that energy busting through the membrane. Then, I gently crunch the shell around the crack. This way the shell an membrane is more flexible. I have never lost a chick, While many other people that just sit there and let it do it itself have chicks that will die of exhaustion. Your not supposed to do it, but It always helps me, and the chicks come out healthy.

3. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    i have a question i hope some1 can answer: right before chicks pip and peep...do they take "naps" in there? are they awake sometimes and asleep othertimes? is that why they arent peeping or wiggling in their shells sometimes? thanks for youe help!

4. bigd36322

bigd36322 New Egg

Mar 2, 2011
    They do take naps/rest and I also help my chicks hatch with a pair of tweezers. I have had zero chicks die and zero ducks die as well.

5. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If 12 hours after the pip you don't see any progress, I would go with Chickenlovefever's tactic. You might have dropped the humidity when you opened the 'bator and the membrane dried out, making it impossible for the chicks to break through. If you can get the first membrane open and then look into see if the second (closer to the chick) membrane is dry too...then take a pair of sterilized tweezers and at least break open that membrane too. Slam up your humidity to 75% and they should be able to get themselves out after that...the increased humidity will help rehydrate the membranes. Some people add a little water and peel away more and more shell...that's an option. Just know this is meant to be a slow progress so the blood vessels going through the membrane have time to dry up. You could accidentally break one of those vessels and now you could have a serious problem.

I would recommend making sure they can breathe, then upping your humidity and seeing it they can do it the rest of the way.

Good luck!

6. rekabnivek

Jul 7, 2011
    I don't think the humidity dropped below 60%. We've been trying to keep in around 70-75 in lock down. It actually goes too high around 80. I think the egg that broke through may be too big. The egg is much smaller than the one that hatched yesterday! UPDATE: My cochin just hatched!!!

7. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    Quote:Awww, congrats! Pics please.

8. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:60% is too dry for hatching. 80% for a little while isn't anything to worry about. You're trying to provide enough moisture in the air to rehydrate any membranes that might have dried out so more moisture is good.

Congratulations on the cochin chick!! [​IMG]

9. rekabnivek

Jul 7, 2011
    Still worried about the polish egg. Should we help tonight if it hasn't hatched? I think it broke through membrane last night sometime. Can't see the egg through the stupid little window. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics to site. Will try to get some up tonight:)

10. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by