1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!! TWO SPRATTLE LEGGED CHICKS!!!! WHAT DO I DO???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tail_feather, May 3, 2009.

1. tail_feather

tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Two of my chicks hatched yesterday, and they are very disabled. They cannot stand up at all. Their leggs go straight out left and right. Has anyone else ever had this problem? And is there a remedy?? Thanks in advance!

2. ~Kuromametchi~

~Kuromametchi~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Reno, NV
    do you have pics?

3. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    I had 2 baby turkeys that hatched out and where doing the same thing your talking about I did this to them yesterday and they are fine today.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Hope this helps you.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Use a band aid. Hobble them together at the width normal chicks are at. I kept mine on "Bow legged Billy" for about a week. You can't tell he ever had spraddle leg now.

5. tail_feather

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Thank you all soooo much!!!! I am going to do it right now!! I will keep you updated!

6. tail_feather

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    WOW!!! I cant belive the difference it has already made!!! Thank you for all your help!!! I thought I was going to have to cull them...but not anymore!! AMAZING!!! and so simple!!

7. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Really makes a difference quickly doesn't it. You can also go to feathersite and they have some articles on splayed legs I think they recomend pipe cleaners and something else and I have used pipe cleaners before and they work just as well, but the band aids are something that almost all households are most likely to have on hand.

Good luck with your chicks.

8. tail_feather

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    cowboy, thanks again for the link! Forgot to mention that one of them also has a crooked neck. the back of his head touches the front of his left wing. so his right eye is always looking straight up. The only thing I can figure is that he was too big for the egg. Since you told me about the band aid. I have been thinking about finding a stiff page in a magazine and cutting out a makeshift collar for the chick to wear. what do you think?? Anyone else with ideas...pls interject.

9. Riven

Riven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Central Nebraska
    I'm a fairly new egg to hatching, but I've never heard of this. I had a BIG one hatch out with swollen hocks. One is working fine, the other turns out and is tight in the tendon. I move it to help stretch it out a couple times a day, do you think this would help him? ( to hobble him? )

10. tail_feather

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Riven, it is definately worth a try! Mine are doing really good! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by