Help! Under siege by feral roosters in Caribbean

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rueroo, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Rueroo

Rueroo New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    I have a vacation rental property on Bonaire in the Caribbean. My "guests" i.e. ppl who have short term rentals are being kept awake ALL NIGHT with the crowing, (and growing) brood of feral chickens. I am looking at raising the front wall and shoring up the gates to keep them out but have been told by a current guest that the adults EASILY fly over the taller walls in the back of the property. My question is this, if the BABIES of the brood, i.e. the CHICKS cannot get on to my property because the cant fly over the walls/fence, will the ADULTS leave them behind or STAY OUT also. Redoing the wall is going to be very expensive. Please help with any advice you might have!! I am truly desperate as the noise is destroying my guests enjoyment of the house, as well as ours when we go there. Thank you very much!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

3. Rueroo

Rueroo New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Thank you, any suggestions re: my particular problem?

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Generally the mother hens are the only ones who really stay with the babies all the time (and then only until they are 7-8 weeks old or so)... so if the other birds want to come over the fence for food etc, they still will. Besides adding some height to the walls to keep them out better, would it be possible to trap and eliminate the problem flock, or are there a lot of them around that would just take their place? You might try posting in some of the state/ area thread where there are big feral chicken populations and see if people there have tips on how to deal with them, ie Hawaii thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/117644/any-other-hawaiians-out-there/0_20

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Kelsie's advice.

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

Kelsie2290's given you some good advice.

8. dragon30276

dragon30276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2014
    Senoia, GA
    i suggest a block party with a deep fryer and of course a case of Corona.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rueroo

Rueroo New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Hello all, I appreciate the feedback on the chicken behavior, I probably will go to the trouble of shoring up the front wall. I haven't been back to our cottage since this problem escalated, but am going back to Bonaire next week. Animal control is all theoretical on Bonaire. There isn't any gov't entity that will deal with it. Yes at this point the chicken BBQ with case of Corona sounds good, and I can probably find some local country people who will dispatch the chickens, but my question is this, how do we catch them? What to put in traps, (if we can even get traps), as a lure? Thank you again everyone, Rue

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wonder if it is possible to drop nets over them. Do they have any natural predators?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by