Help Unhatched Egg Is Now Hatching

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by StrayMagnet, Jul 11, 2011.

1. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    ok Saturday is when we found the 10 chicks.. I had no clue of couse that the stray chicken had a nest on my property. I figured she came for hand outs n went home, but 2 eggs were not hatched.. a friend told me to give at least 2 more days to see.. well yesterday was 2. so i went to remove them today, and i saw a small hole in one egg. so I thought ok I'll waite a bit that hole was not there last night!. This was this morn at 9am. just a hour ago i went to check again and The hole is bigger and I can see the chick move and hear it peep!!!.. how long will it take for it to emerge.. and now should i give the other egg another day? and if its not looking like any progress bring it in and Go to a dark room with a candle n see if there is movment??

oh wow this is exciting! plz give suggestions , if the baby is not out by tonight should I bring it in and help him or her out of the egg then put her in with mom in the morning? or if its not out by morn help the chick out and bring in the other egg and candle it

I heard of it.. but how do you do it exzactly? will a flashlight in a dark room work , much like when u press it to your hand and see the red from your blood?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If the mom is not sitting on it any longer, then you will need to bring it in and put it in a box like a Rubbermaid container or some kind of box. If you have a heating pad, put it on the bottom of the box on low, put a thin towel over it and place the egg on it. Also use a tall glass of water and put it in the corner of the box, the egg will need some humidity to hatch. Put something over the top of the box to help hold the heat and humidity in. keep checking the heating pad to check how hot it is getting, you don't want it too get too hot, just enough to keep the chick warm. temps in incubators run about 99 degrees. You may have to help the chick since it was by itself and the lack of humidity from the mom could have let it get stuck. carefully pull a little piece of shell off.. if you see any blood stop. May have to take a damp paper towel with warm water and moisten the membrane around the chick. being careful not to get it in it's mouth.

3. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    THE CHICK HAS HATCHED FULLY!!! he's Flopping around.. Peeping.. MOm is in with it but on top of her other chicks and unhatched egg!!. and the baby is just moving around but not under mom.
    IM fixing to go check on him in a bit, I also observed the mom move the other egg around, it's been pretty hot here last few days. 100 with heat index.

I do not have a heat pad, [​IMG] I'm just hoping that other egg is still alive..
    should I at least check it? with a light? if so can it be put back with mom n still hatch even after I touch it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by