Help!!! Unkown Sickness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elliott297, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Elliott297

Elliott297 New Egg

Nov 5, 2013
    I have had 2 out of my 12 Isa Brown chicken suddenly get sick then die within in 4-5 days of becoming ill.

First sign of a problem is when they can't stand up by themselves and seem to fall over. I isolate them but never seem to get better, they don't eat, they don't drink they just sit..... My first chicken seemed to have a impacted crop but they second one didn't. They both had the same symptoms.

I looked at the possibility that they might of had Marek's Disease. Is there any way that I might be able to get a proper diagnosis?
    As far as I know all my chickens have been immunised .

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Elliott

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How old are they? Look up information for Coccidiosis. Cocci is very common and can kill very fast,but it is easily controlled with medication.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Elliott297

Elliott297 New Egg

Nov 5, 2013
    They are less then 12 months old.

5. Elliott297

Elliott297 New Egg

Nov 5, 2013
    I haven't found any blood in the droppings. Could there be anything else wrong?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidiosis only causes blood in droppings in 2 out 9 strains. Diarrhea, not eating, sitting puffed up, ruffled feathers, and acting sleepy or lethargic are the symptoms. I would start them on a 5 day course of Corid right away. The treatment won't hurt them. Corid liquid 2 tsp(or 1 tsp powder) per gallon of water is the treatment. After treatment give them vitamins and probiotics in their water for several days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by