Help! Unstable coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by operationminifarm, Jun 11, 2011.

1. operationminifarm

operationminifarm New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Well I drew up a plan and have gotten to work on my coop. hours in and hundreds of dollars spent and I am worried. I have never built a shed/building before. My biggest project being a compost bin. Here is my problem. I have the posts down, and some support up, but it feels very unsteady and wobbly. It doesn't take a lot of force to make it creak and shift. I am hoping that all it will need is just to keep working, and as everything else gets put in it (floor, walls, rafters, roof) it will help stabilize it. But I am a worrier. What are other peoples experiences and is there anything I can do to salvage this project if there is a problem.

The total dimensions are 4'X16' with the coop portion being 4'X6'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a view of a 4x4 post attached to the frame made of treated wood 2x4's.

[​IMG]

Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Daniel

2. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    I would think it will feel much more stable when you get the major suports going the "other" direction up. Right now you have two independant walls started with nothing more than a 2x4 near the middle holding them together. Once it's more "cube" shaped, it should feel more solid. Great work so far though!

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Not a carpenter, but to me it looks like you need to finish bracing the top. If you still have issues with sway, try a few additional horizontal supports. Once you get whatever you are using for the sides/walls, it will help strengthen the design, too.

4. stoneeater

stoneeater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I'm not seeing anything wrong with your construction.
    Once you tie it all together it should become much sturdier. Construction adhesive like liquid nails or PL premium will go a long way towards giving you strength as well. Lay down a bead on each floor joist before you drop in the plywood floor and then screw the plywood down.

5. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    That last picture, those nails need to be driven in the 4x4 deeper.
    When you fastened your 2x4 to the 4x4, you need to overlap and nail thru the 2x4 into the 4x4. It looks as if you have toenailed the 2 by to the 4 by? At this point I would scab another 2x4 onto the outside extending to the outer dimension of the stucture. Do this to all sides.
    Hope this helps?

6. stoneeater

stoneeater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Just saw that you have 2x4's standing up as your top brace. The way a wall is built in a house is put your plywood floor down. Then a 2x4 layed flat. Vertical studs and then 2 2x4's layed flat as the top plate. The more places you can find to glue and screw the stronger your structure will be.

7. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    You are heading in the right direction,just have not gone far enough.Mine is similar in design,I slanted my roof[right to left].Wobbley cause nothing at the top to reinforce it together.Keep going,you are doing fine.Kevin [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  8. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I am a professional carpenter. You are doing fine its not rocket science or the taj mahal [​IMG] Once you place your rafter boards and plywood it will sturdy up considerably [​IMG]

9. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    You should be fine. The main thing I see is how the 4x4s are attached to the 2x4 bottoms and how are the 2x4s attached to each other. Perhaps run 2x4 flipped up around the bottom like a band?
    Also whats under the frame? Just dirt?

What are your plans for the walls? if you were planning on a traditional framed wall stoneeater is right that you should add the floor and flip the top 2x4 (no need for 2 top plates on something so small.....However no need to traditionally frame walls either. Just tie it all together with horizontal supports at the top and one mid way up the wall.

Any info on where you plan to go next with walls, roof etc would help also.

10. operationminifarm

operationminifarm New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    thank you all for quick responses. Well for the walls I plan to use half inch ply nail them into whatever structure I build off the main 4 posts. Like using vertical and horizontal 2x4s to create spots for windows and doors.

Under the frame is just dirt. I kind of had to dig a little and work on leveling the ground.

The 4x4s are nailed into a metal piece of hardware, that is nailed into the 2x4s.

I like the idea of framing the entire piece with 2x4s

The roof will be a gable style. (2 slants)

Here is a rough plan of the coop. Some changes and what not, but this has the important parts

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by