Help! Unwell chicken? Update! 17/12/14

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Neeny21, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Neeny21

Neeny21 New Egg

Dec 16, 2014
    Essex, England
    Hi

I have two hens, both almost 2 years old and I think one of them may be sick. Last week I noticed she seemed to have a bit of a limp when she ran and was standing on one leg quite a lot. She didn't seem to be in any pain and let us poke and prod the affected leg without much fuss so we decided to just keep an eye on her. Everything carried on the same until today, when I went out to check for eggs and found Ginger (the maybe ill chicken) just standing in the nesting box. She came out into the garden when I stroked her, but then completely ignored the cherry tomatoes I brought out for them. And it wasn't their usual 'look at it and then decide its not what I fancy' thing, but it was like it just wasn't there. Even when I gently touched it against her beak she didn't even move. Now she is just standing around, not pecking or scratching and only occasionally moving to a new spot. Also when she walks, she is lifting the foot of the affected leg much higher than the other and clenching the foot before putting it down.

Any ideas on what this might be? We started a course of worming today (Flubnvet) so hopefully any parasites will be taken care of, but I just don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance

Nina

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Okay, you have 2 hens 2 years old. If they've never been exposed to other chickens , I'd rule Marek's out (somewhat). You could check her for bumble foot. Give her a mini aspirin and see if that makes a difference-it may be an injury. Check her for an impacted egg she can't pass. You may have to check with an oiled finger. Or a heavy abdomen. Look at her eyes for cloudiness. Watch her weight and wait see if she gets worse. Can you pinch her keel (breast) bone between your fingers?

3. Neeny21

Neeny21 New Egg

Dec 16, 2014
    Essex, England
    Thanks for the reply. No they haven't been with any others since they were about 2 weeks old. I've checked everything you said and she seems all clear for those. She has perked up a bit since then (she ran over and attacked my trousers) no, her crop is smaller than our other hen but still has stuff in it. I can't find any injury but we'll definitely watch her. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.

4. Neeny21

Neeny21 New Egg

Dec 16, 2014
    Essex, England
    Update! She seems much better this morning; my dad said that when he gave them some porridge they both went straight for it (and gave him a token peck on the leg) and I'm watching her now and she is pecking around like normal. There was a small, soft shelled egg under the perches this morning. Me and mum checked Ginger's vent again this morning and she was very affronted, but didn't feel like she had an egg or anything stuck. I'm keeping an eye on her but am tentatively hopeful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by