*HELP* URGENT* Chick taking 24 hours to hatch!?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JenBirdRansom, Feb 2, 2012.

1. JenBirdRansom

JenBirdRansom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    I have a chick that has taken, at this point, 24 hours to hatch. It has been moving around a lot and peeping, but it is taking SO long! I don't want to lose it because I didn't help it work its way out! At what point do you help a little?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It can take 24 hours from pip to hatch. I personally don't believe in helping chicks hatch.

3. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Yup 24 hours or MORE is totally normal. It's likely still absorbing yolk.

4. JenBirdRansom

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    OK, I'll relax. Little bugger has been looking tired, but still peeping.

[​IMG]

5. tmoore8595

tmoore8595 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Jefferson County, Al.
    It is very common for it to take more than 24 hours. Problems are created when you open the incubator. This lets the humidity escape and the chick will dry out and stick to the shell. The incubator should not be opened until all the chicks that have pipped hatch. I keep my humidity between 75 and 80% during the hatch.

6. JenBirdRansom

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    I can't get the humidity up past 65. If they are a bit dry, what can I do to loosen them up? Can I put some water in that is steamy? I really, really, really don't want these little buggers to die. They do look as though the membrane is stuck to them. Aaaacckk!! I just want to peel it off!!!

7. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    mine looked a lot drier by that stage, and got out a lot quicker after they started to make a tiny hole bigger. had one with part of the yoke stuck to its foot or something and it was OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by