HELP!!!!! URGENT!!!! DYING HEN!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karenBaack12345, Mar 2, 2014.

1. karenBaack12345

karenBaack12345 New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    We looked out at our chicken coop this morning and one of my red sex links (I have 6) was pale, closing its eyes and did not look so good. she was twitching when she sleeps and its been going on for a little while. We put it inside but I fear that she does have not much time left.

Thank you for your help!

Karen

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    check her for being egg bound,to check for egg binding,put on gloves w lubricant insert finger into vent ,see if you can feel an egg or broken pieces(shells). If you feel an egg,give her a calcium or tums tablet(break into pces and give orally)or liquid calcium. This should help pass egg,keep her warm/quiet/calm and in a dark location. In her condition do not give a warm water soak,this could push her over the edge.

If you feel broken pieces of shells,gently remove shell pieces,careful you do not want to accidentally cut her internally,after removing pieces gently flush out vent using a diluted vinegar/water solution this helps flush out egg contents and helps with bacteria,often with this they do require antibiotics to combat infection from egg breaking internally.

Check her for crop issues,to check for impact,her crop should be full at night(after eating all day)should be empty in morning(before eating).With sour crop,crop may feel squishy/water filled and there might be a foul smell coming from mouth.

Any signs of injury? Any discharge from vent? When was the last time she was eating/drinking? How does her poop look,if any?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. reann34

reann34 New Egg

Aug 13, 2012
    We lost one of our hens. I found her dead. She had a dark red mass protruding from her vent, so I assume that is what killed her. Two days before she wasn't moving and I picked her up, but I didn't think to check that area and the next day she was walking around so I thought she was ok. I would like to hear from anyone that might know what to do in case this happens to another hen.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    My condolences,always heartbreaking to lose a pet.

I suspect she had a prolapse.

Here is a link explaining vent prolapse.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by