HELP! URGENT! SICK DUCK!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FalloutForMe, Dec 5, 2014.

1. FalloutForMe

FalloutForMe Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    California
    My duck puddles is a year and a half old. Everything was fine and normal when I left him in the tub a couple hours ago (He often stayed and swam in the tub while i was gone but he hadnt for a while so I thought he might like to). I left a cup of duck feed and bird mix (I'm not entirely sure what's in it, It's called Mikes Magic Mix and they said i could give him some but that he may not like it. Normally I wouldn't have gave him any but my aunt bought it for him and I didn't want to just throw it away). I CAME HOME AND HE WAS LOWER IN THE WATER THAN NORMAL I QUICKLY DRAINED THE TUB AND TOOK HIM OUT. HE CANT STAND UP AND HE'S KEEPS MOVING HIS HEAD WEIRD. HE WANTS TO STAND UP BUT HES WOBBLY. HE KEEPS (Swallowing? Like how someone would swallow built up saliva?) WEIRDLY. THERES NOTHING NEAR ME THAT IS OPEN THAT TREATS DUCKS AS IT IS 11PM (I'M IN THE BAY AREA SO IF YOU KNOW SOMEWHERE LET ME KNOW, I'M GOING TO KEEP SEARCHING GOOGLE). DO YOU THINK HE GOT TOO COLD? DO YOU THINK SOMETHING IS LODGED IN HIS THROAT? (I CANT SEE ANYTHING IF THERE IS). IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO BESIDES DRY HIM OFF AND KEEP HIM FROM TRYING TO STAND UP SO HE DOESNT WOBBLE CRAZILY AND FALL OVER?!

2. FalloutForMe

May 28, 2014
    California
    Also he's a mallard. Not sure if that helps.

3. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    How is your mallard today? Any better? I don't think he got too cold from swimming in the tub.

4. FalloutForMe

May 28, 2014
    California
    Yes he got better after a few hours. I still have no idea what happened.

5. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    Good. Glad to hear it. Better an unexplained success than an unexplained tragedy!

6. FalloutForMe

May 28, 2014
    California
    Definitely!! Thank you for your concern :)

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think he may have over did on the seeds. maybe got too many and was a little bound up, in his crop, Don't know if I'd give him the magic mix until you find out it's safe for water fowl. Glad he made it through.
    Welcome to BYC.

8. FalloutForMe

May 28, 2014
    California
    It states in the original post that I was told it was safe for ducks.

9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Glad everything worked out. what is the mikes magic mix? I've never heard of it before. Is it made for poultry?

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well good glad to hear that, maybe he just over indulged with it. any way glad he's okay now, he still is right? never heard of magic mix

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by