Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! URGENT

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrs.brown, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    help! todays day 21 and they haven't hatched yet! so we opened all 7 of them right at the air sack.2 were stinky and 5 were moving.
    now they are moving but growing weaker but are still moving. what should I do??? Thank you so much![​IMG]

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Well...leave what you've opened as much in the shell as possible. Leave them in the incubator. Hopefully they'll absorb their yolk. And remember, chicks don't necessarily hatch on day 21. Sometimes they don't appear until day 22, 23 or 24 if your temps were low.
    Sometimes they hatch earlier.

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I would have said don't force them to hatch... But too late.

Good luck.[​IMG]

4. Mrs.brown

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    Quote:Thanks for the advice. Its just that last hatch they didn't hatch at all..........................
    [​IMG]

5. Mrs.brown

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    Quote:Sorry I have no idea how to quote two people on the same post.
    I cant see any yolk. Maybe its just me.

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    You said that you opened the egg right at the air cell. I hope this means that you didn't continue to peel the chicks the rest of the way out. If the chick is still in the shell, the yolk is most likely at the bottom of the egg. The best thing you can do is to leave them in their shells. Put them back into the incubator and get your humidity up to about 60-65%. Then say a little hatching prayer. The odds here are not good, but they're not impossible.

If they're out and there is no yolk, put them back in the incubator for at least until morning. Don't beat yourself up. Hatching is a learning experience. If the chicks don't make it, you've learned.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I see that you are new here, so I encourage you to do some research on this site, ask for advice, etc, BEFORE you start another hatch. There is a ton of information here, and spending a little time readin and doing some researched would have saved you a lot of heartache.

I always let my eggs go to day 23 before I consider them dead.

[​IMG]

8. Mrs.brown

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    Quote:How does a shrink wrapped chick look like? I have read about chicks getting shrink wrapped. I am afraid it will happen to these eggs. I think saw a chicks beak while adding some water to the egg. Please don't yell at me.

9. ChickenRookieFMVA

ChickenRookieFMVA Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    This is my first hatch as well... I am on day 23 and had two 4 pip and 2 hatch today. Thanks to the people on this site telling me patience is a virtue. I have two struggling right now to unzip. I am worried because of the membranes being thick. I would't toss them till Day 26 though. especially if you made a small hole. Just make sure humidity is high enough!!! CROSS YOUR FINGERS AND SAY A PRAYER!!!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  10. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I am not trying to be harsh, but you really need to leave them alone. I know its really hard, but every time you open that incubator you are lowering the humidity. A lot of incubators are not exact with temps and a lower temp during incubation can and often does delay the hatch by a few days. As the previous poster said, eggs sometimes don't hatch till day 24. Your chicks were probably not ready to begin with and the chance of them surviving is already lower, every time you mess with them, you lower the chances.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by