Help Urgent!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BirdNerd101, Nov 21, 2013.

1. BirdNerd101

BirdNerd101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop
    i have a rouen duck who doesn't do anything but sit In one spot and stay there. she lays with her wings sprawled out and even lets me touch her witch she never had before. yesterday she was eating and drinking. today I put water on her bill and she started drinking again. I am worried. she is always flapping her wings and is scared. is she dying? what can I do to help her? she is just very weak. Please Help

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It could be many things.

At this point, I would give her food grade, activated charcoal in water

Look at the recipe on this link

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

It also contains flushes, in case she swallowed something toxic.

She may have egg yolk peritonitis, in which case she needs antibiotics right away.

A vet is the best option, but I know sometimes that is not possible. But for her, it would be critical.

Keep her drinking, get her into a clean, safe, confined area.

Are there drakes in the flock? Have any of them been rough on her? Has she been laying eggs?

3. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    As I wrote earlier, a vet is the best help, but here is some information I found looking around the duck forum. I am not a vet, just someone who cares about ducks.

If you have Tylan or Duramycin, you might consider starting her on that right away.

The dosage that I have seen used here on the duck forum is Duramycin-10 at 1/2 tbls. per gallon for 7-10 days.

There is a Twin City Poultry table that shows the dosage for Tylan as Tylan powder 1-2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days.

I need to get some rest, I plan to check back tomorrow. If I can, I will check back in a few minutes, but I am not sure I will be able to.

Okay, signing off. Prayers for you both.

[​IMG]

4. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

My white peking duck and a goose did this after a duck attack. If it's not poison (see Amigas advice) it may be an attack.

1 person likes this.
  5. BirdNerd101

BirdNerd101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop
    thanks guys, my duck had no drakes, and was enclosed in at night so the chance of poison is slim but still possible. i came home from school yesterday and she was dead in the coop. :( i cleaned out the coop and the other ducks are stll going strong. Thanks for all your advice, i wouldnt know what to do without you guys.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some states have agricultural universities that will do necropsies for free. Then you could know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by