Help urgent!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by exBats21, Aug 15, 2014.

1. exBats21

exBats21 New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    My ex bat Gloria has been showing symptoms of sour crop

Pasty vent
    Liquid poop
    Liquidy squishy crop
    Lethargic

I have attempted to empty her crop, and clear liquid came out.. I have tried to empty it again today but couldn't get anything out despite it still being enlarged. I have syringe fed yoghurt oil garlic and some honey for energy. And given her a dose of flubenvet She is currently fast asleep in a make shift chicken bed and I am keeping her in tonight.

And just to throw something else into the pan she is now making a clicking noise when breathing.

We can't take her to the vet as we are very low on funds (my mum jut got made redundant). Is this sour crop and what is the clicking noise? What shall I do?!

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    It unfortunately sounds like aspiration from the throwing up. I had a pullet get sour crop, and I thought after hours of reading on it that it would be best if I helped her by making her throw up, since my daughter had accidently already made her throw up by tipping her forward. The pullet did good, got better each day, then day 3 she had a slight rattle in her breathing. She died on day 4.

3. exBats21

exBats21 New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    :( nooo is there nothing I can do?!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The clicking sound may be from respiratory distress. I agree it may be from aspiration during her throwing up. My thoughts are that your hen could be suffering from coccidiosis, since she was not exposed to dirt in her past life. That can cause lethargy, diarrhea, and a slow crop. The treatment for cocci is Corid (amprollium) or (Coxid in the UK)and sulfa meds such as Sulfadimethoxine and Sulmet. I would not try to vomit her anymore.

5. exBats21

exBats21 New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    She's gone I feel terrible. Rip Gloria :'(

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. If it was aspiration, then it isn't the first time it has happened. It may have been from whatever disease she had, so don't beat yourself up since you were trying hard to help her. Crops can slow down with any disease, and can appear to be sour crop without the sour odor. This link has information of vomiting a chicken from a vet on the correct way: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Sorry[​IMG]. I feel your pain. I have been there myself. We live and learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by