Help Urgently Needed! Trembling Duckling

DuckGirl365

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2018
Hello there, I'm new to this website.

I have 5 Silver Appleyard ducklings that are about a week and a half old and one of them is noticeably smaller than the rest. A few hours ago, I gave them a bath in some cool water and changed their bedding.

After their bath, I put them back into their enclosure and left the room for a few minutes. When I went back into the room, the small duckling was face down in its bedding with its legs outstretched behind it. I poked it and it was unresponsive, so I thought it was dead and started getting panicky.

I took it out of the enclosure, wrapped it in a towel, and tried to give it some electrolyte water. It became increasingly panicked being away from the other ducklings and started chirping really loudly, so to avoid stressing it out I put it back into the enclosure.

It's obvious that it isn't acting like the other ducklings who are actively preening and eating/drinking, as it spends a lot of its time sitting down and trembling, not to mention that it won't open its mouth to accept any food or water. At this point, I'm not sure what's wrong with it or what to do.

I would really appreciate any feedback or advice.

Last edited:
For one thing week and a half old duckling need to bath in nice warm water most likely the little one got very chilled after bath . After bath they should immediately be placed back into a warm brooder to finish drying with out getting cold. Sounds like you stepped in just in time :welcome Make sure they stay warm especially this lil one.

Last edited:
Hello there, I'm new to this website.

I have 5 Silver Appleyard ducklings that are about a week and a half old and one of them is noticeably smaller than the rest. A few hours ago, I gave them a bath in some cool water and changed their bedding.

After their bath, I put them back into their enclosure and left the room for a few minutes. When I went back into the room, the small duckling was face down in its bedding with its legs outstretched behind it. I poked it and it was unresponsive, so I thought it was dead and started getting panicky.

I took it out of the enclosure, wrapped it in a towel, and tried to give it some electrolyte water. It became increasingly panicked being away from the other ducklings and started chirping really loudly, so to avoid stressing it out I put it back into the enclosure.

It's obvious that it isn't acting like the other ducklings who are actively preening and eating/drinking, as it spends a lot of its time sitting down and trembling, not to mention that it won't open its mouth to accept any food or water. At this point, I'm not sure what's wrong with it or what to do.

I would really appreciate any feedback or advice.

When you say enclosure, is there a heat source they can get to? I didn't have a heat lamp, so I put a heating pad under 1 end of the bed I made for her, and piled a small towel up onto part of it (since she's an only duck and had nothing to cuddle in her bed) She could get over there when she was cold and had a place to retreat if she wanted. But baby ducks need outside heat sources. Just make sure it's nothing too hot, and not direct heat because they burn easily too. That's why the heating pad was on low and UNDER the bottom of the bed. Just warm to the back of my hand.

Back
Top Bottom