Help us please šŸ˜¢

mummagoose

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2021
Yesterday morning at around 3am, my husband and I woke up to our hen flopping around making these hiccups sounds, we googled carettas symptoms of course there were different results but symptoms were all similar, ok now we're confused. Shortly after we noticed her legs began to weaken, she lay down on her side and remained that way for about 4 hours breathing heavily. About 3 hours later caretta laid her egg, she sits up and drinks her water however she still has a poor appetite and weak legs. She tries to walk but after a few steps she'll sit back down.

Can you try to get her drinking plenty of water, and also give her vitamins and electrolytes that contain riboflavin, in case she has a deficiency. B complex for humans can also be used 1/4 tablet daily crushed into a little food or water. There could be several possibilities for the lameness, such as being egg bound, vitamin deficiency, an injury, or Mareks disease. Keep her near food and water, and encourage her to eat some wet chicken feed, scrambled egg, and tuna or canned cat food can be alternated. Offer food and water right up to her beak 2-3 times a day, but water is most important. Let us know if she is doing any better tomorrow.

Yesterday morning at around 3am, my husband and I woke up to our hen flopping around making these hiccups sounds, we googled carettas symptoms of course there were different results but symptoms were all similar, ok now we're confused. Shortly after we noticed her legs began to weaken, she lay down on her side and remained that way for about 4 hours breathing heavily. About 3 hours later caretta laid her egg, she sits up and drinks her water however she still has a poor appetite and weak legs. She tries to walk but after a few steps she'll sit back down.
So sorry about your hen.

This can also be heavy metal poisoning. If you have a vet that can treat chickens and has experience, you may choose to get an x-ray and some blood work done. If it is that, it sounds like she is at a stage where she will need special treatment, but the first step is to try to identify the cause. Really watch her closely and write down all her symptoms. Best wishes and I hope she recovers! Think positve!

It sounds like Marek's to me, but I've only seen it in person once or twice.

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/mareks-disease

@Eggcessive may be able to help you here.

Back
Top Bottom