1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help us with Chick with exposed yolk sack

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hamons3rdGrade, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Hamons3rdGrade

Hamons3rdGrade Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    We are a third grade classroom and we have been incubating 11 eggs. They started hatching yesterday. One of the chicks was born with an exposed yolk sack. We left in the incubator over night and most of the yolk has been abosrbed. However, there is still a pea sized part hanging out.

[​IMG]

Is there anything we should be doing that will help this chick out.

We have 4 other healthy chicks and one that has started pipping.

Thank you for any help you could give us.

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

That should dry and fall off eventually (couple days). Is the chick moving around or just laying there?

3. Hamons3rdGrade

Apr 25, 2008
    Thank you for the reply

He is moving around -- but maybe not as much as the other chicks.

Do you think it is a problem that he is moving around less than the others or would this be expected?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I seem to have issues with my last egg to hatch. They are always the runts. One from a couple hatches ago didn't make it, had the yolk sac but didn't absorb it. One from my last hatch is fine but definitely the runt, small and behind on feather development. But it's not always like that, that's just my experience. Yours might be just fine. Congrats on your hatch!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  5. Hamons3rdGrade

Apr 25, 2008
    He was actually our first egg to hatch..

We are very excited about the hatch. We have learned a lot and will continue to learn more and more.

We want him to be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by