Help!! Vent leaking on broody.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickentvforme, Jul 1, 2016.

1. chickentvforme

chickentvforme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2015
    Alabama
    OK here is the basics.
    1. 5 days ago we had a fox attack and it killed 5 birds. Blueberry was found in the woods with little outward damage but acting depressed until 2 days ago.
    2. Blueberry was raising 6 chick's (2were killed) and still acting broody until attack.
    3. Blueberry is walking around chicken coop making fussy noises. Like she is waiting for a nest box.
    4. Noticed some poop stuck to her feathers but it fell off before I could inspect. Upon closer inspection she has some clear (maybe white) fluid dripping out of her vent. Not smelly
    5. She has not resumed laying since chocks hatched.
    What do I do??????? Help!!!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is she eating/drinking,pooping ok?
    How old are the chicks now, is she still taking care of them?
    I know she was broody with chicks, but is the discharge like egg whites by chance?
    Could it have been a soft-shell that was stuck to her feathers instead of poo...gently feel inside the vent about an inch to see if there is anything stuck.

3. chickentvforme

chickentvforme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2015
    Alabama
    I'm so sorry I somehow missed this post. First of all, thank you for your reply. So this is how it turned out. I took her into the vet (who knew nothing about chickens). However the vet was able to correct the vent and push it back inside. I took her home and just isolated her for the night and kept watch. She has been perfectly normal and now laying eggs with no problem. Still not sure what happened and caused the leaking and prolapse but glad it was resolved quickly.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad she is ok![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by