Help, vent problem! Update..she's gone.

Tiempo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 19, 2008
Stockbridge, MI
Babette has a big wad/ball of semi dry poop all round her vent..sticking out of her vent. About 1/2 the size of a ping pong ball.

I've got her in the bathtub, and I'm trying to loosen it with warm water on a washcloth, but I'm afriad I'll hurt her vent.

To really soak it off, can I put warm water in the tub and give her a full on soak/bath?

Can I use soap?

She is alert, eating and drinking with clear eyes.

Thanks.

ETA Please help, I got a better look and her vent looks completely blocked..

Last edited:
Yes to all your questions: you can soak her in warm water and you can use soap or shampoo.

After you've gotten her all cleaned up, do use a hairdryer on the lowest warm setting to dry her off. Don't put her back outside until she is 100% or she can lose too much body heat to stay healthy.

Keep us posted.

I just can't get it off and I think her vent may be prolapsed...it's horrible looking, like a tumor.

I soaked her for over a half hour and a little came off, I pulled the piece that came off apart and it is like a rock in the center and really foul smelling.

I've taken her out of the water for now, soaked the area with vegetable oil, and I have her on a clean towel in the now dry bathtub...what else can I do?

I really like this girl, she is my only black Marans and she's so sweet.

She has fresh drinking water, and I made her a mash with crumbles, warm water, sugar and a little olive oil.

Uh oh. Sometimes extra-fluffy-butt birds will get poop caught in their feathers (nasty but harmless) sometimes in large quantities... but you seem to have something much more serious. A tumor, you say? I'm afraid I can't help. I agree however that she will need to be completely dry before going back out, especially if it's cold where you live.

Is she of layig age?

Prolapsed vents call for different treatment. Do a search on here for advice on how to deal with it.

Please prepare yourself that you may have to put her down if she doesn't improve.

I don't think it's a tumor, that's just the best way I could describe what it looks like..it's a mess, I just can't seem to get it clean.

She is 2 coming 3 in spring and a really nice bird.

The way it looks I'm not optimistic right now
sad.png

Darn it..I've already lost a pet this week, our darling kitten was euthanized on Friday with fel. leuk.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom