HELP...vent problem

kbu

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 15, 2010
OK..i am not going to surar coat this so be warned...
one of my hens had a build up of white poop on her rump feathers this morning. we brought her in and tryed to clean it up as best as we could with warm water and a paper towel. (she did get away from me and had a scare all around the house till she got caught). the only thing we noticed was the poop on the lower rump feathers this morning and so we took her back out and put her back in the chicken run.

this afternoon i went out to give them some scratch grain and noticed her vent area was RED as it was a bit pushed out!! and there was more white poop built up on those lower rump feathers from it RUNNING liquidy poop? out her vent. i got her picked up and she also seems to have a chunk (pea sized or so) of white poop dry looking/feeling and stuck on the side of the vent area that is sticking out.

I got her a bit cleaned up and was trying to start working on that stuck part and she all of a sudden pulled the vent back in like it is supposed to be.
we have her in a cage by herself right now.

she took another poop and the poop was a bit hard and dry. the vent stayed out again and the white dry/stuck part is still there. in fact the poop she dropped did not even have the "white" part.

i gave her some water with a drop of A.C. vinengar in it and some feed and scratch grain with some olive oil and a spoon full of yogurt in it.

OK...THE QUESTION NOW.....what do you think is wrong with her vent? will it (vent) start working "right" again once she gets that dry white poop part out?? should i keep giving her these things?? AND could she have had an egg break INSIDE of her when she was flapping all over in the house when we were trying to catch her????
ANY HELP on this matter so i may have an idea as to where to go from her is greatly appreciated.
thanks so verrrry much.

So it looks like she's got a prolapse (insides coming out the vent)? Clean off poop and dirt with luke warm water. I pushed it back in with my finger and I've had to repeat a couple times for it to stay. Some say use preparation H and it will shrink back in over the course of a few days. Now she may be trying to push an egg out. I don't think there's any hope of it coming out until it's back in. You could do a warm bath, clean her up, gently push it back in and feel around for an egg at the same time. Some say use latex gloves. I guess I have to say I didn't when I've checked for bound eggs but I suppose I should considering all the situations chickens have going on inside (parasites, bacteria).

It isn't always a good idea to check inside for an egg. You could break the egg. A good soak in warm water for at least 30 min. might help her to pass the egg if theres one there, be sure to dry her real good with a hair dryer on low. Sometimes a little olive oil around and just inside the vent may help also. let us know how it's going okay. Hope she'll be okay. I don't think just running around the house would break the egg. You'll just have to keep her under observation.... and seperate from the rest of the flock till her vent is healed.

OK...she is doing much better right now. i put a small amount of prep H on the vent area. she has been in a crate by herself and is eating and drinking just fine. she is pooping fine now for all i can tell. she has laid an egg yesterday afternoon and with all of these things the vent has gone back in and is working right as far i i can tell and see.
smile.png

THE PROBLEM that i am still haveing is that she has a liquid coming out of th event and it looks to me to be clear and white. it is running down her rump area and i am not sure if it is part of diarrhea (but her poop is normal) or what and am not sure how to get it to stop?!?
ANY IDEAS?!?!?!
hmm.png

thanks

Do you have any plain yogurt or any other probiotics? That is good for the gut. Electrolytes also. You can trim the feathers around her vent and below to keep it from sticking on it. Thats great that she laid an egg I would keep her in a quiet place for a couple of days just to make sure everything is back to normal. you can also give her a warm soak if you can't get it off. Just don't let her get chilled. I have seen my hens pass liquid whitish stuff also and it seemed to correct it self. hopefully yours will too.

she is doing fine today.
celebrate.gif

she has laid 2 eggs since this started, and now with no problems. the ooze has stopped from the vent and we now have her cleaned up in teh rump area since it has stopped. she is eating and drinking just fine and LOVES the yogurt. gave her vitamins in her water today. she is not happy about being alone as she is a very talkative group girl. but we will check things out on tuesday and see about getting her back in with the rest of the gang.
thanks!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom