Help!! Ventilation problem?

jessshell

Songster
6 Years
Aug 6, 2016
NW, Indiana
We just got done building a coop for our 8 Chickens. We did the roof kind of elevated so they would have ventilation without a draft. We noticed the straw is damp in the coop though. is it due to lack of ventilation? what else should we improve? (nest box isn't being used because they are too young and the roost is temporary, we are putting a permanent multi leveled one in this weekend)
20191118_170427.jpg
20191118_170427.jpg
20191118_170440.jpg
20191118_170449.jpg

Last edited:
The last couple days have been warm though so all the snow has melted.
That will surely cause the humidity to rise. Ventilation looks good to me. If the ground under your coop is damp that will likely transfer into the plywood floor if you don’t have enough ventilation under your coop also.
One side note. I would remove the metal roosting bar. A nice 3”-4” dia. branch should be easy to come by.

Last edited:
We noticed the straw is damp in the coop though.

we are located in Indiana. We've already had some chilly nights (in the negatives) with some snow. The last couple days have been warm though so all the snow has melted.

The wet straw might just be from chickens coming in with wet or snowy feet.

If the chickens go outside for a bit, then come in to eat and drink, then go back out, then come in again. Or they step in the snow, don't like it, come in to dry their feet, go out and come in again....

That will surely cause the humidity to rise. Ventilation looks good to me. If the ground under your coop is damp that will likely transfer into the plywood floor if you don’t have enough ventilation under your coop also.
One side note. I would remove the metal roosting bar. A nice 3”-4” dia. branch should be easy to come by.

we are removing the metal bar this weekend, we only did it for a quick roost bar for them but we bought wooden bars that we are going to put in for them but I will try to find a good branch for them to throw in there in the mean time! thank you :)

and for the bottom ventilation, we did add thick insulation between the plywood and the ground, would that help prevent this from happening or would it still transfer? It's also a raised coop so it's not sitting directly on the ground.
sorry for so many questions, this is the first coop that I've built and I want to make sure it's done right.

we are removing the metal bar this weekend, we only did it for a quick roost bar for them but we bought wooden bars that we are going to put in for them but I will try to find a good branch for them to throw in there in the mean time! thank you :)

and for the bottom ventilation, we did add thick insulation between the plywood and the ground, would that help prevent this from happening or would it still transfer? It's also a raised coop so it's not sitting directly on the ground.
sorry for so many questions, this is the first coop that I've built and I want to make sure it's done right.
Fiberglass Insulation acts like a sponge with moisture so make sure no moisture can get to it. I personally would not put it.
If you find a nice branch don’t waste money on buying a roost bar.
Your coop looks like it should work well. 2 thumbs up

With the coop being elevated that will help dry things out with air flow. If in the future you stick your hand under the coop and it’s really damp or moldy you can do the following. Lay a nice heavy plastic (6mil) directly on the ground under the coop and cover the plastic with some stone. Very easy way to eliminate any moisture coming up from the ground. That is only if you notice a problem.

Last edited:
The coop is nice overall.
Definitely lose the metal pipe for roosting. It will cause frostbitten toes in Indiana.
I'm going to disagree with everyone else. You need double the ventilation you have.
Wet straw will cause high humidity which in turn leads to frostbite and a breeding gound for pathogens.
You, like most people put more emphasis on temperature than oxygen.
Fresh, cold air and drafts won't hurt chickens. Stale air, humidity, fungus, virus, bacteria and ammonia will.
I don't know how the idea of a draft free coop got started but it is a fallacy.

Last edited:
We noticed the straw is damp in the coop though. is it due to lack of ventilation?
Any damper than the straw outside?
Ventilation looks pretty good to me.

It's humid as all get out here in SW MI.
Are you in northern or southern IN?
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-11-18_18-11-3.png

Back
Top Bottom