1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help. Very confused about sand. Need quick clarification

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lbartsch, Jul 22, 2011.

1. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    I know there have been a lot of posts about sand but I'm so confused and I'm hoping that this one post will clear things up.

I want to use sand on the floor of my coop. I am so confused about what sand to use. Am I correct in thinking that sand with silica in it is absolutely not ok for the chickens?

I've read that play sand is ok. I've read that play sand is not ok. I've read the same two things about construction sand.

I bought Sakrete Play Sand because someone on the forum said they use it but on the back it says it can cause breathing problems with long exposure because of crystaline silica.

Help, please. I want to do things right for my little chickies.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    To me sand is sand. The bagged stuff is clean and dry where river sand is raw and wet. I was asking about sand also but it just seems to be some can't get the river/construction sand and have to buy the bag sand. I was wondering about granite dust. That material is used in garden plots as a soil amendment and it's used as a base for pavers. Fot that it's better than sand.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Am I correct in thinking that sand with silica in it is absolutely not ok for the chickens?

Silica is the most common element in the Earth's crust.

There is no such thing as sand without Silica.

Get the cheapest you can find​

4. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    My friend and I use play sand in our brooder boxes and love it... chick right out of the bator...

5. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Thank you so much. I'm going to use the play sand and not worry about it.

When we were researching what type of sand to use in our kids' playarea, we read stuff like this:

http://www.safesand.com/information.htm

So I was naturally worried about my chickies too.

Thanks for all the great advice. [​IMG]

6. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    That article you read said California. That should tell you right there it off the wall. They probably believe in not safe to get up in the morning. Sometime during the day you may get killed, so stay in bed.

7. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Um I live in California so I guess I know how you feel about my question now. Pardon me for wanting things to be as healthy as possible for me and my pets.

8. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    No, that's not what I meant. I also want healthy pets, and family too. It's just that the article read "in California" as though no where else does anything occure. Not digging you at all.

9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Californian too...were all not nuts, just as not all Georgians are not hicks. LOL

10. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Whatever, no hard feelings. Oh wait I'll do it the California way.

Whatever, dude. No worries. Like you didn't hurt my feelings like at all, Man.

LOL.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by