HELP!!! very large air pocket formed in the chest ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Musco, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Musco

Musco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    One of my Austrolorps just ballooned in the chest area. Its the size of a baseball. What can I do????

2. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Seems to me they might have just enjoyed a large meal. Check again in the morning. Should be back to normal. [​IMG]

3. M@M@2four

M@M@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    That just sounds like his crop is full from eating. It should clear and fill back up next time he eats. [​IMG]

4. Musco

Musco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, relaxed me a bit.... I got her separated from the rest and I'll wait it out now with hopes that it goes away. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to help?

5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:No need to help. With my birds, that would be normal at the end of the day!!! [​IMG]

Darkness and sleep -- no more eating - digest the food ... [​IMG]

(I have one little wee tiny chick that would SCARE you senseless. Not more than 3 inches high and baseball sized crop! Bigger than him, almost. Now THAT is scary. But some weeks later, he's still alive and still filling up daily the very same way!!!! [​IMG] )

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  6. Musco

Musco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    yeah I definitely would be losing my mind with that little chick... Its just the first time I see this or even hear of it. I relaxed quite a bit now. Just didn't know if that was it for the hen or the heard or what was going on. Thanks again!! [​IMG]

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Well just wait till one swallows a live toad.....ack. THat will really freak you out.
    sharon

8. Musco

Musco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    so it's been more than 24hrs now since shes been isolated and when I went to check on her about half hour ago it seems like she threw up all over herself.....normal???

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    no

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Are you talking about a major barf or some spittle?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by