Help! Very Lethargic hen, 3 paper eggs--DIED TONIGHT

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roz, Jun 5, 2011.

1. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    Hi,
    Our 10 chickens all seemed to be fine this morning. We went out to put them in their portable run a couple of hours ago, and our one year old phoenix was sitting in the nesting box as she has somedays, but we took her out and put her in the run only to notice that she was having a hard time standing up. She would put a wing out to balance. She looks hunched over. We eventually put her back in her nesting box, and I tried to feed her egg and oats, but she had no interest. I took raw egg out to her, and she had gone to the chicken door of the coop, which I was happy about, but when I tried to get her to eat the raw egg, I would hold it up to her beak and she would kind of fall into it sideways. I decided to bring her in, and as I was walking to my house with her she started a steady stream of warm liquid out of her vent that soaked my shirt, with a very small amount of white and brown in it. She also basically collapsed her neck on my arm.
    We have her in a box on our table, and we mixed up a light mix of gatorade, and I scrambled an egg for her. My son got her to drink a couple of drops of gatorade, but she wouldnt eat any egg. She is sleeping...breathing heavy in my opinion, but I"m not sure.
    Any suggestions???
    She is on Poulin laying feed which she has been for the entire almost year I've had her. I gave them some banana bread this morning that I'd made as a treat. They got some watermelon yesterday, and some shredded carrots the day before. They get out on our grass for a couple hours a day in the evenings. A couple of our chickens had lice on Mother's day. I dusted them all with permethrin, as well as their coop. I did it again about a week later. She and a couple of others still have the eggs clumped at the bottom of a couple of feathers, but I read that they wont go away until they molt. None have hatched. I just went out and bleached all the cracks in the coop with diluted bleach water to hopefully kill any mites although I havent seen any on them. My 3 year old Ameracana did have brown bugs around her vent when I discovered the lice, but they seem to be gone with the permethrin as well. My Ameracana and a couple of others have squishyish bellies below their back feet. I posted something on here a couple of week ago asking about it, but nobody had anything to say. My sick chicken now, has a squishy warm belly between her legs.
    I really want to help her but I dont know how.
    Please help.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I'm bumping my post in hopes of getting any kind of advice.

3. Harvey'sHens

Harvey'sHens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    I'm not an expert. Just my limited experience and some things that I found on BYC that helped. I had this problem with a young hen when she started laying and I had been spoiling my chicks with too many treats. She was lethargic and laying very thin shelled and shell less eggs. I stopped with most treats and I fed just layer feed and hard boiled eggs mashed up with the shell for more calcium. Also I put ACV in their water for a while. I read on here 1Tbsp to 1 gallon water. That helped in 48 hrs she was much better. Hope this helps in your case.

4. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    Thanks! I wonder if it was the treats that messed her up. What a bummer if it was although I would take that over a disease. She is inside tonight, and i have been able to get her to drink a little gatorade. She seems to be resisting sometimes now which I think is a good sign because she had no strength at all before. I am hopeful that she might actually get better. I seriously thought I had a goner in my arms tonight...it was so sad. I havent had a limp chicken in my arms like that before. I feel so responsible for anything that happens to them. I've given them treats like this before so if that is the cause, I'm so confused, but I will stop and just feed them their layer feed and let them have the yard for a couple hours a day if that means they stay healthier.

5. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    she died at midnight tonight. My kids are going to have a sad morning tomorrow when they wake up. I keep going over things in my head...trying to figure out what went wrong. I hope my other hens are ok.

6. dedicateddourly

dedicateddourly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    Oh, I'm so sorry about your girl. You did what you could for her [​IMG]

7. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Sorry Roz [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by