Help, Very Persistent Bumble Foot!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peep-Chicken, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Our Welsummer, Pepper has had bumble foot since end of Juneish. I did the first surgery, no Kerberos found just some goop. We gave her antibiotics an had her foot in a bandage. A few weeks later it didn't get any better. We did surgery on both feet since they both had b foot.

The one foot that was its first surgery healed pretty well. But the other got bigger. We rescued a girl who had SEVERE b-foot and a large infected gash on her side. She died the day after surgery, which was successful.

We did Peppers foot again, no kernels, nothing found. We had it bandaged and did iodine, Epsom salts stuff like that. It didn't get better, so we ordered tricide Neo to have her foot soaked twice a day. We have been doing tho since the end of July, still nothing.

Today I will put Neosporin and iodine in the foot after soaking.

Is there anything else I can do??? [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I did the bumble foot surgery years ago. It sort of had a white core to it. I doctored it up and put some meds on it and used vet wrap, making her a nice neat bandage. It seemed to heal well, but then it came back.

I find myself wondering if bumble foot isn't something similar to a wart....where it just keeps growing back. I really wish I had something else for you to try.

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Ok thanks. The chicken that passed, she had three white cores.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I'm sorry to hear that, but you really gave it your best effort.....That's really all any of us can do.

Hugs,
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by