Help, Very Sick Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dowellmj, Feb 23, 2011.

1. dowellmj

dowellmj Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi, my hen was acting off for last couple of days and staying in coop, I just presumed it was broody behavior but today she is VERY sick and I cant take her to a vet until later

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Silkie, couple of pounds and 2 years old

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

runny poop, dirty vent with wet poop around it, looks like her neck is broken and having trouble holding head up, not sure how long she hasnt eaten for

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

at least one day but could have been yesterday as well, not more than 2 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    not that I can see

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

no

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

not sure but by the look of her there is no way she could eat now

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Runny

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

None but will give some poultry drench ASAP

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Stabilize before vet

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

hay with shavings

2. dowellmj

Nov 26, 2008
    I just went out to check again and she has passed away but I would be keen to have any ideas on what it was and how it could happen that fast as well as if eggs from my other silkie that was living with her would be safe to eat etc?

Thanks for any help!

3. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I am so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]
    It sounds to me that it could be wry neck??? From what I understand comes from lack of B vitamins and I believe Vitamin E also.
    What do you feed your flock?

4. dowellmj

Nov 26, 2008
    Thanks, a layer feed supplemented with fruit, veggies and cracked corn in winter

5. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    also hay is not such a great thing to use with chickens, i find they tend to eat it and it can cause crop issues....

6. dowellmj

Nov 26, 2008
    thanks, I am just hoping the other one doesnt catch what ever it was but she looks fine and I have disinfected the coop, thrown the bedding away etc.
    fingers crossed!

7. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    It sounds like you have them on a good diet but maybe this girl could have not eaten the feed and mainly filled up on the corn???? The reason I say this my blind silkie girl will search for the scratch over the feed because she loves it so much and I have to watch her to make sure she is getting adequate feed too. But being the worrier I am, I also feed moistened chick feed with polyvisol added to this everyday especially in the winter with how cold it was these past couple of months. I wanted to be sure their immune system was strong.
    When I had initially found that my blind girl was indeed blind, I also thought she had wry neck but really it was because she was so weak, she was not strong enough to hold her head up.
    I would watch your remaining flock just to be sure there isn't something else going on and if you think they might not be geeting enough vitamins, you can give them added polyvisol in their food or water. I usually moisten their chick feed and add it to that. They think it is a special treat and love it but it is still good for them.
    Spish brought up a good point too. Did her crop seem to be large?

8. dowellmj

Nov 26, 2008
    thanks and no the crop didnt seem to be larger than normal but I will stop using the hay..thanks so much!

9. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Forgot to add you should use the polyvisol without iron.

10. dowellmj

Nov 26, 2008
    thanks, any specific dose on the Polyvisol or alternative if I cant find it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by