Help! Video: Chick Hatched with yolk not yet absorbed!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Book, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Book

Book Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2012
    Eastern GA
    The chick is no longer attached to the egg. Is there anything I should do. Clearly I have not opened the incubator. The video is through the top of the bators small window. Sorry it is hard to see, a lot of humidity in there!

2. Book

May 16, 2012
    Eastern GA
    Just an update, that chick is alive and while weak, I do have at least a little hope that it will be ok!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sorry I just found this thread now. How's chick doing now?

4. Book

May 16, 2012
    Eastern GA
    Chick looks like the others who hatched around then. Seems to rest and peep like they do. I am not so worried about it anymore! :)

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's good to hear! These little things like to make us worry, don't they?

6. DirtLaneFarm

DirtLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    I am glad that yours is doing good. Can anyone help me with this picture and tell me if it is the same thing? Sorry if it is not clear. Took it thru the window at the top.

[​IMG]

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It is difficult to tell for sure from the pic, but it looks like the navel hasn't sealed yet. I don't see any unabsorbed yolk, though there might be a little bit. Leave the little one in the incubator until it's dry and fluffed up before taking it out and handling it.

8. ang3lb0y

ang3lb0y Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2013
    Boise, Idaho
    That looks like it's coming out of the vent, not the belly. That also doesn't look like yolk, which is yellow. I've hatched a duck with its yolk out last year. I just put a warm damp paper towel under it in the brooder and checked in it every 30 min. Your pic looks likes the chicks bowels are coming out of the vent. There's no treatment for that. :(

9. DirtLaneFarm

DirtLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    I will go anc check to see for sure. If it is out of the vent, what would cause that?

10. ang3lb0y

ang3lb0y Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2013
    Boise, Idaho

Complications with hatching can cause this, I honestly don't know what the definite "cause" is, though. :(
    If it's out of the vent, you can try to put it back in (very gently) and watch that chick for any signs of pain, or dehydration. Not putting the bowels back in the vent can cause the chick to die. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by