HELP violet comb and respiratory disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Waves, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Hi all,
    There is a respiratory virus in my flock.
    You can read in these 3d
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...chicken-sneezing-a-lot.1338339/#post-21900511
    my chicken Arancina cought this and seems to get well, but this morning she has noisy breathe, Violet comb, she stays alone with closed eyes and head between feathers, she doesn't want eat or drink. I gave her a coadiuvant for respiratory disease made of essentials oils and put some drops on the feathers maybe they help her to breathe. I'm going to try with homeopathy (on giada it worked pretty well) but What can i do for her???
    She is one of my originary chickens, i'm very affectionate to her!!! I'm going to post a picture as soon as possible.

Thank you very much

P.s she does watery white poops (not swollen abdomen or full crop)

2. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
  3. Mylied

Mylied Crowing

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Try bringing her inside and putting on a hot shower to fill the room with steam she can breath in. Sometimes steam can loosen things up.

Waves likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she has a virus, such as infectious bronchitis, it may take a month or so for symptoms to leave her. Drinking enough and eating would be the most important things to make sure she is doing. Make sure that she has good air circulation in her coop, limit dust and wet or moldy conditions.

If she should develop bubbles in an eye or face swelling, seen in MG mycoplasma, you may want to contact a veterinarian for oytetracycline, an antibiotic. Do you have a bird vet in Italy? You may want to add your location in your profile page.

Wyorp Rock and Waves like this.
  5. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Hi dear @Mylied and @Eggcessive , excuse me cause i opened two threads but i was frightened
    Ari passed some hours ago...sorry i couldn't write before but i was "a bit" shocked...
    i'm sad...it was heartbreacking seeing her die so suddenly... i'm sure you can understand me:hit
    thank you very much :hit i'm thinking it was heart attack..or maybe she was old....it wasn't the giada and others' virus. it was completely different. thank you very much, again. :hit

Eggcessive likes this.
  6. Mylied

Mylied Crowing

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I'm sorry to hear that. I remember when my first chicken died. It was heartbreaking.

Waves likes this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your hen.

Waves likes this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :hugs

Waves likes this.
  9. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    thank you :hugs
    it isn't the first hen in my flock who die... but it was horrible the same of other times :(
    I had two internal layers (long illness) and two hens that died for heatstroke this summer (terrifying)
    Also Arancina had the heatstroke, but she totally recovered before this :hit

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Eggcessive and Wyorp Rock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: