Help, vitimin overdose, can u make a poult vomit?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rodster, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Rodster

Rodster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    I just sent this to Agri-labs but im afraid overnight may be too late.

"hi, i need help immediately. the instructions on the package werent clear and i've accidently overdosed my (2) 3 month old turkey poults. i gave approx 1/4 tsp of vitimins, electrolytes, microbes and acidifile to an oz of milk/water and 10 grains of terre-vet 10 and fed 1/2 tsp per bird, weighing approx 3 to 4 lb each. They currently have turkeypox and have been ill for 10 days. i have no idea what to do or how to make a poult vomit. i wish there was a 24 hour number for dumdums like me that only have 2 birds and try to use your product. PLEASE rewrite the directions for us poor idiots with only a few birds. Please CAll as soon as you can with idea's. thanks."

the directions, (im so dum) said to mix the whole 4 oz package to a gallon of water,
    then add an once of THAT water to a gallon feeder, only the package ripped in the wrong place over the writing so i added about an ounce of thsi stuff (raw powder) to a gallon, then watered everyone. Since i thought it was so dilute, i mixed it as above for the 2 sick poults, thinking i'd be giving them a starter dose as they aren't doing very well. i guess i'll know tomorrow am if i killed em. man, i dont knwo WHAT to do right now.....

[​IMG]

2. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I wish I could answer but can't so here is a bump. Anyone?

3. itom37

itom37 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    My guess is taking a bunch of vitamins isn't going to hurt your birds.

4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Do you have a poison Emergency number? Like on Mr. Yuck stickers? Call them. My dog ate my whole bottle of antibiotics and they helped me, they called the 24/7 emergency vet for me.

5. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

you can try the National Animal Poison Control Center 1.800.548.2423
    They do take calls on birds and some poultry related toxicities.
    Best of luck to you please update us

6. Rodster

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    OMG Thank you all SO much. he (think it's a he) is still holding his own and able to perch near his bud/sis who also has it but not near as bad. imm calling in like 5 min. will relay their info afterwards and keep you all posted. aGAIN, tHANKS FOR SUCH A FAST REPLY. (dum caps... bye.....>)

7. Rodster

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Quote:Well, for 65 bucks they will take your call.
    i think everyone shud know that this isn't free and they wont even LISTEN to you
    without swiping a card thru the fone. well it was almost helpful...

poult survuved the vitamin shock but im starting to think he
    isn't very long for the world anymore. i have no idea how to
    strenghten him to fight this. he's not eating anymore [​IMG]

8. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    I copied this from another post because it's SUCH an awesome site! It should help you its an online chicken vet open 7 days a week 24 hours just call him he can help and save this site for future help! I know you have turkeys but he should still be able to help you! goodluck!!

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/

9. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well, for 65 bucks they will take your call.
    i think everyone shud know that this isn't free and they wont even LISTEN to you
    without swiping a card thru the fone. well it was almost helpful...

poult survuved the vitamin shock but im starting to think he
    isn't very long for the world anymore. i have no idea how to
    strenghten him to fight this. he's not eating anymore [​IMG]

I am sorry if you thought i wrote it that it was free, but I didnt. I just figured if the problem was not having a vet locally , this would be helpful. I dont think there are any hotlines available for free that have a panel of different veterinarians on staff to help you 24/7.
    Did you get a callback from the company? maybe they can give you some insight , although if you were treating him with OTC supplements and antibiotics at home then he must have been sick or not feeling well prior ? which unfortunately would be my guess that if he does pass it is probably from whatever is already going on.
    Hope he pulls through.

Other than emergency toxicity advice , i would be weary of an "online vet" who will pick a treatment for an ill animal based off of the owners description of whats going on- how would this "vet" examine or complete diagnostics in order to make an accurate diagnosis?? taking a sample ie fecal , blood , or discharge for microscopic evaluation is minimal and could not be completed over the internet.. for the $25 consultation fee from "the chicken doctor" (firststatevetsupply.com) who is a 20 year veteran chicken enthusiast like everyone else- not a dvm... thats like one of us charging $25 for the advice given on this forum?!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by