Help w/ gender? Mostly EE's and one bantam breed ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mama24, May 8, 2011.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    They are all around 5-6 weeks old unless noted otherwise. [​IMG]

1. Bantam mottled cochin. boy/girl?
    [​IMG]

2. another mottled cochin. I don't think this is the same one. I think I got "lucky" and got 3 boys out of 3. They all have red combs already.
    [​IMG]

3. This one is a little younger. Can't remember exactly, but I think 2 weeks younger.
    [​IMG]

4. What is the black bantam in the above picture??? Here is another pic of him. Look at those long legs! He usually has his neck stretched out like it is in the above pic, though. He's starting to remind me of a turkey! LOL
    [​IMG]

5. I have 2 EE boys that look like this. I'm posting this pic to contrast with the one in question that I will post next. See how he has some red on his wings and shoulders? He also has some blue/green/black coming in on his back between his wings. Or maybe this is the one that doesn't, they both have the red and the big red 3 row combs.
    [​IMG]

6. Here is the one in question. I am leaning toward girl just b/c of the flat comb and she looks almost identical to my other black and white girl. But this one has the brown on her back end/wings. No red like the boys, though. She hangs out more with the 2 EE's that I think are girls. These are my first EE's, so I am just guessing. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She has a very wide looking (to me anyway) comb, but it is still yellow and completely flat. The 2 boys' combs are very big and red now in comparison.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. My 2 EE's that I think are for sure girls. [​IMG] They always hang out together. The one in question loves my meat chickens (it's very sad, really, since they won't be around much longer. [​IMG]) My 2 boys hang out together, too. It's really kind of strange how most of my various chicks got into their own little groups, and most of them really stuck with their own breed. Think these 2 are girls?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My salmon faverolle in the background is a sweetie, but kind of a loner.

8. Last one. A light brahma from the pullet bin, but I'm not sure. She's pretty aggressive toward the other chicks.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help! Happy Mother's Day!

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I think you are right on with your guesses with your ee's. #6 and #7 are pullets. Number 5 i would guess is a roo, but not 100%.

3. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Thanks! Anyone else?

4. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    The EEs look like girls to me, the cochins are actually silver laced [​IMG] The first cochin I think is a roo, the 2nd is probably a hen and I don't know what the black chick is, I would guess an old english, sumatra, or spanish.

5. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Thanks! I hadn't heard of the Sumatra before. Looked those up and he does look like he could grow into some of the pics I saw. Pretty birds. I think his legs and neck are too long to be an OEGB. I have another little bantam that is either Dutch or OEGB and she is much much smaller.

6. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Quote:Thanks for pointing out my cochins are silver laced. I was told they'd be mottled when they were babies, and I guess I just had that stuck, didn't think of laced when I realized they were getting way too much white. I wonder if they're mixed mottled and laced b/c the lacing isn't very good. [​IMG] THat's OK, I love them anyway. They're so soft and fluffy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by