Help w/ Genetics and Breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sylverfly, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    So I was thinking of starting a breeding program and I’m wondering how many chickens I need to start with to provide a wide enough genetic background for healthy chickens. I would have breed A of hens and B and C breeds of roosters. I would breed A and B and A and C together and the offspring would be AB and AC. I would then breed AB with AC to produce the finished product D. After that I would be breeding Ds with Ds. So How many A hens do I need to start with and how many B and Cs do I need. I know this would make sense better if I just mentioned the colors or breeds I’d be using but it’s a classified breeding program, and I don’t want to let anything out of the bag, yet. I will be sharing the results in a few years with the BYC community. Any help would be awesome, thanks.

2. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    If you are just introducing a dominant color gene into an existing breed you could just keep backcrossing to unrelated members of that breed.

If you want to do inbreeding calculations: http://kippenjungle.nl/COI/COIcalculator.html

Enter
    a pedigree like this:

D1,AC2,AB,F
    D2,AC2,AB,M
    D3,AB2,AC,F
    D4,AB2,AC,M
    AC,C,A,F
    AC2,C,A,M
    AB,B,A,F
    AB2,B,A,M
    A,,,F
    B,,,M