1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help w/ordering chix please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by swmommyto3, Jul 12, 2008.

1. swmommyto3

swmommyto3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    we're going to order some chix next week, we have 6 hens right now that we got as hens and are clearly 1-2 yrs old so we want the chix to come on line and cull the flock we have now to start a rotation per se. we free range and have a chix tractor we made the coop is 3x4 w/3 nests and a 4' roost which I think 1 may be using, generally they all huddle in the nest together. SO! we're a family of 5 and I think 6 is a good amount of eggs for us, Im trying to figure out how many chix to order, is 10 good? having a cushion to get us down to 6? do we have enough room come winter when they all tend to stay inside more? will we have enough room if all 10 make it to winter????? there is room inside to add another roost but idk?! Im more planning for winter since we free range right now I dont think it matters as much as when they are all litterally cooped up [​IMG] btw we're in se washington and this will be our first winter here so not really sure what to expect other than snow. tia!!!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Ten sounds like a good number for a family of 5, except you don't have room for them in the coop you have now. You need 4 sq. feet per chicken, or a little less for bantams. Look into the winter hardy breeds. You won't be able to put them in with the chickens you have now until they are big enough to fend for themselves, so keep that in mind too.

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Yeah, you're gonna need some more space.
    This is how it always happens...i did it too. Once you get chickens, you always want more!
    Good luck with your order![​IMG]

4. swmommyto3

Jun 27, 2008
    thanks, I guess since we free-range we really were'nt thinking about winter as much as we should've! there is a connected 8x4 run that we leave the door open to right now but in the winter if we "winterize" that, can that count as an additional 32sq ft? so 44sq ft total for 6 hens should be ok? Im thinking plywood against the sides and on top held in place w/bales of hay on the sides??? maybe we should wait till spring for chicks???

5. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    I've found that with my chicks in their coop, as long as they have a lot of vertical space (ramps, with shelves to roost on or just perch for a while) etc., the economizes the space significantly than just floor space would.

6. swmommyto3

Jun 27, 2008
    we do use roost high and low in the coop now too using the veritcal space also, the 6 we have sleeping in there all cram together as it is in a happy little pile I swear we could fit another 10 in there! (I promise we wont) thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by