Help w/ quick question about blood on egg

Mad Tapper

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Central Wisconsin
All 4 of the girls appear to be happy and healthy, but...I have been getting 4 eggs every day for most of the winter. Once in a while, (maybe once per week or two) one of the eggs would have a small smudge of what appeared to be blood. Just one, never two or more. Now today, one of the eggs has more than a small smudge. The smear looked to be approx. 1" X 1 1/2". Is this a cause for serious concern or somewhat a normality. Would hate for it to be something preventable, caused by me or my management. Thanks in advance for any input on this.

I have experience the same thing here, its nothing to worry about. If your chickens are you young and are not starting to lay larger eggs, this is the reason why you are seeing seeing more than just a smudge. It sould eventually go away.

I tend to inspect the hens' bottoms when I get an egg with any significant blood on it, just to make sure nobody has a prolapse hanging out getting pecked at -- but generally it is just an acceptible normal 'blip in the works' and not a concern.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

*****UPDATE*****

Oh boy, I just looked and there does appear to be a prolapse. All four managed to sneak into our garage (freeloaders looking for a snack) but one didn't want to get out like normal. Then I noticed drops of blood on the floor and checked their bottoms. The somewhat sluggish girl has a dark (poop looking) bulge down below. Her droppings must not be getting the normal clearance or trajectory and appear to be running down her feathers. I cleaned that up but Now what???!!!! Any advise????

ETA: Should I have put this in the injury forum???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom